The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Curious about Roof Racks - How do you mount them?

alansupra94

Well after thinking about getting a 29er mountain bike, I decided to see what kind of roof racks were out there. I remember the roof rack thread and saw a bunch of them however, I am ZERO idea how it is held/installed on our cars.

Is there a factory mounting point? Special trim? Etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Alan

desant78

+1 on this. One day I want one, but don't get how they actually attach.

alansupra94

At least I wasn't the only one curious about this. I searched youtube and google and all I can seem to find is those "Q tower" yakima roof racks that attach to the roof via the windows (kind of). I know all the GVR4 pictures I have seen with roof racks seem to be attacked to the rain gutters alone.

DSMGVR4

Must be a Jersey thing....I am curious too! My family has an ole skool generic Thule rack that seems to attach to any van or car but not sure if I want to try it on the GVR4.

transparentdsm

hey guys check out my build thread. i have thule roof racks and i just cut them down to look like the stock mitsu one. there the thule 4304 foot mounts and the 50lbs load bar,(there for a land rover, but fit our cars perfectly) they mount in the stock location and you have to cut the roof rails. what i did was pull the roof rails off, mount the front and rear rack, then i laid the roof rails right next to where they normally go and marked them where they needed to be cut for the thule feet, grabbed my 4 1/2 angle grinder, cut the roof rails where i marked them and popped everything back together. couldn't have taken more then 35 minutes out of my day.

edit: also your right it is a jersey thing.... I'm originally a jersey boy..

Last edited:

kama1

Here are some visial aids,just incase.
From misterfixits thread.

transparentdsm

here is a link to the feet for sale. click i bought mine off ebay and it cost me 175 for the feet and the load bars, but i also waited a real long time to find the right deal for what i wanted.

edit: if you dont mind used i just found these. click

or

brand new foot pack, no load bar. click

also if you guys want i can take on of mine apart today and take pictures for you.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

I just got lucky and found a brand new thule on ebay specificly for our year galant, cant wait to get it, finally i found something on ebay that ive been wanting for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member

alansupra94

I am still not sure how the hell do they HOLD ON to the car?

From the looks of it, do they just kind of clip onto the car and then clamp down? Does anyone have better pictures of what the clamps on the roof look like?

I am so confused.

funny-dog-pictures-mass-confusion.jpg

G

Staff member
They are held on with tension to the pinch weld in the roof.

kama1

They clamp on here.

And here

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting kama1:
They clamp on here.

And here

Alan ^ these are normally covered with a rubber strip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kama1

Ive been so frustrated with my racks i didnt get the chance to cover the mounts since the vr4 came home.
Its also nice that we get to use them,rather than just for looks.

alansupra94

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting kama1:
They clamp on here.

And here

Alan ^ these are normally covered with a rubber strip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lol I am not THAT stupid but I am sure people could easily argue that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This seems to make much more sense. I will start looking around at roof racks now.

veganbutcher

Just wait until you try putting the gutter guards back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts