The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WOT rattling

James

I don't expect a specific answer for this, but its worth a try I guess.

Under WOT I hear a type of... Rattle noise... From the driver side of the engine bay. It sounds almost as if you had a big bag of marbles and were bouncing the bag around. It's only under full throttle that I hear it. Sounds like maybe from the head? Hard to tell from the drivers seat. I've investigated it, couldn't find any loose bolts or fittings or anything.

Now I do think I have a pulley getting ready to go out but I don't think the two noises are related. Under normal cruising condition with maybe 25% throttle I get a wobble sound. Goes away with more or less throttle.

MellowVR4

maybe a harmonic balancer?

James

The rattle, wobble, or both?

That was my guess for the wobble. Or water pump. But I can't see how the pullies can make that chatter.

The car idles fine, drives fine, pulls strong. Nothing in the oil, coolant is clean.

MellowVR4

when did this issue become noticable

James

I would say... After a cracked the valve cover? Two hairline cracks. I assume the notice was just sounds coming from the head and was more noticeable due to the cracks letting sound through.

I have a new valve cover and gasket now.

James

But also, prior to that I was unable to to a real pull in the car due to phantom knock and boost creep. Along with loud lifters. I fixed all of this at the same time. So the problem could have been from before but went unnoticed.

The wobble has been there since I got the car.

MellowVR4

^ whats that?

James

Logger shows no knock. And like I said, it pulls hard at 18psi.

MellowVR4

Axle support bearing?

James

I'll check that out on my next day off! I didn't think suspension. The sound "sounds" like its coming from higher up than that but who knows with how sound travels

5OF2k

Does the car still have the balance shafts??

James

Good question I've never checked. They removed all the emissions, egr, ect stuff that everyone removed so I would assume the PO did a balance shaft elimination on his rebuild. But ill double check to be sure.

I assume you are suggesting that for the wobble noise and not the chatter.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts