The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 bogs,dies etc. Need some help.

Well I got this car two weeks ago with known problems,Injectors needed seals and oil drain pipe needed fixed. I have done both but now the car will only get to 3500-4000 rpm in 1-2nd gear but in 3rd it will pull all the way. It is also dying when i stop the car.. Any input needed I figure it may be a boost leak but not sure why it is dying because it was not before.

Was a bad IAC unplugged and runs fine..

Last edited by a moderator:

mikus

Let us know if the boost leak test doesn't produce a fix/change.

I'm sure people will be willing to give further input, until then it's moot.

I don't have an air compressor/bike pump etc to do a boost leak test. I checked all clamps etc and all are good and tight it boost until 3psi and than its like fuel cut at only 4k RPM.

mikus

With due respect to this being the newb section and there being some chance it's something else --- it's the next step, you'll need to do this again, figure out a way to do it. /thread.

Get a tester with a tire valve end and use the air at the gas station. Build a compressor-end tester and drive to a shop & give a guy a sammich. Tell the counter kid at Harbor Freight you want to test a display unit.

yeti

ALWAYS love when a SAMMICH comes into play, I remember the first time u said something about a sammich to me.
It was at the end of completing something..
"now go inside and tell the wife to make you a sammich!"

But really might as well borrow a air tank or source 1 you definitely arnt going to go without it for long.

mikus

sammiches grease the bearings of our social engine compadre!

Sometimes mayo cause internal combustion

Fixed boost leak and car still wont boost. Feels just like boost leak or fuel cut but injectors wouldnt max out at 0-3psi..

Noobsauce

If you have one crack in a vac line or intake boot to the inlet of the turbo you would also have this issue. If you bend or squeeze any hose and see any microscopic cracks replace the rubber. Vac leaks and boost leaks are no joke.

So when you did a boost leak test what did you use to identify your leaks? If you haven't replaced the throttle body seals and found no leaks I will have to call BS on you actually doing a proper leak test...

Well it may have not been "proper" I did the boost leak test from the throttle body charge pipe to the end on the j-pipe so it just tested the actual charge pipes and bov. How do you test all of it? From the j-pipe and leave the TB connected? Thanks

ktmrider

Have you reviewed the VFAQ yet? Lots o stuff in there...

Also what mods are done to the car? Airflow is measured by the MAF and compared to the O2/Fuel Trim readings. Too lean = fuel cut. Does your car have the stock MAF and/or oxygen sensor? Is there an SAFC or other type of airflow monitor being used? Know anyone with a logger or plan on getting one?

I dont have a pc most is viewed on my phone and it is slow. I kbow basics of these motors I have had a few but only problems I had was boost leak etc nothing major. Stock 1g maf. 16g turbo and I have no way to log. I do have a maft and 3"gm maf but the car ran the same on it with base settings.

5OF2k

Hold on real quick, before we start throwing "could be this" "could be that" at it, we need a few things from you:

1) Complete mod list, to include ANY modifications to the engine/fuel system, etc etc etc.

2)EXACT depiction of symptoms, not a "feels like this" or "I think it could be this". We need to know exactly what the car is doing, under what circumstances it's doing it, and what you've already tried (and HOW you've tried said things) in attempt to remedy the issue.

3)You need to jump on VFAQ and read your face off. Seriously. Even if you are only using your phone. If you're browsing and posting here, it's definitely fast enough for VFAQ.

Once you get that stuff taken care of, it'll be a LOT easier to help you figure out what's wrong with the car, and provide ideas and suggestions on how to go about fixing it. There's a LOT of info missing, or sketch in your above posts, and in general it sort of makes my head hurt.

-Jake

The only mods this car has is a 16g turbo and an unknown aftermarket o2 housing. When driving below 3krpm car drives fine once I get to 3500-4k rpm and 0-3psi the car chugs and feels like it hits a rev limiter. It will not boost past 3-5psi and it was getting 10mpg the other day. I boost leak tested the charge piping only. I have very few tools so I am limited on what I can do here. I have tried using the 3"fm maf and maft with no change. I put in an injector o-ring set because they did leak no change. I fixed the boost leak and no change.

gvr4ever

Bad turbo? Check for shaft play, free spinning. Also, check and make sure the waste gate closes all the way. If all of that is fine. Maybe do a compression check...

Does it smell rich? Do you get a backfire?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts