The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

whats this part for?

luis84one

im replacing the tranny seal and this popped out when i pulled the axle out. does anybody know whats it for? do i need to get a new one or reuse this one? i had little luck finding the seal at the local auto parts store so i guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow and take a trip to the dealer.
img.php

SouthCaliVR4

that springs supposed to be around the inside lip of the seal. Replace the seal & you'll be fine.

+1

Little known fact on those springs:

They aren't a solid ring.

If you are having a sealing issue at a particular seal, let's say "It's like my third time replacing that effing seal and it is still effing leaking! I'm sure that im putting it in correctly too!"

Well, when you go buy your next replacement, pop that little spring out and look at it really close. In one spot you'll find a joint. This is where the spring is joined end to end to form the ring. The two ends twist together, and therefore can be untwisted. Once you've figured this out, and you are now holding a spring in your hands that is no longer a ring shape, look closely at it again. One end of the spring will be a smaller diameter than the other, which allows it to twist inside the other end to connect it into the ring shape.

So back to the constant leak. If you take the end of the spring that isn't reduced diameter, and cut about 1/4" off, and then twist it back together, you "ring spring" is a little smaller now. Pop it back into the seal, and it squeezes the seal tighter, and can compensate for an axle (or a crank, or a output shaft, or an input shaft, or a cam shaft, or a... you get the point) that has a seal groove worn into it. This shouldn't be done to seals 'just because', because the extra tension will accelerate seal wear. But like any seal, you should be putting some grease on the seal lip to give it some lubrication, to help extend the seal life.

Now that I've said ring and spring and seal a thousand times each...

^ the +1 was to southcali.

Yes, you can toss that spring. It is damaged anyway. Napa should stock those seals, I believe one is a part # 14006, and the other is a 14028.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned