The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New New Yorker taking on a gvr4

ade

picked it up from CT and brought it home to long island a few weeks ago, fuel systems fucked, leaky 4ws, and the worst squirrel infested car i'v ever had the pleasure of owning.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

question?
are 95 gsx rear ends, spindles, brakes and steering rack swappable?
And i need a gvr4 filler neck, sending unit and tank, a 3" muffler(Borla preferred) and 3" cat, new or used.

citymunky

What is in the A/C vents?

Diego

Quoting ade:

question?
are 95 gsx rear ends, spindles, brakes and steering rack swappable?
And i need a gvr4 filler neck, sending unit and tank, a 3" muffler(Borla preferred) and 3" cat, new or used.

1.91/94 1Gs would be your better catch of a rear end swap...

2.Filler neck can be bought on JNZ new for $48.00 click

3. Fuel tank.... good luck, check junk yards for Galant GSX's they were 4wd as well so I would fathom that they should be interchangeable.

4. Cat I would also look for in a junkyard or place a WTB here on the board for one.
click

Thanks for joining... now do the car justice.

Diego

quicktsi

Mine preferred the intake manifold area. I did have droppings in the blower motor fan area though. What kind of damage did they do to the wiring?

IMG_0402.jpg

AnotherNewb

Quoting ade:
picked it up from CT and brought it home to long island a few weeks ago, fuel systems fucked, leaky 4ws, and the worst squirrel infested car i'v ever had the pleasure of owning.

Best introduction post EVER!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ade

Ha yeah, im a funny guy

Quoting citymunky:
What is in the A/C vents?

Quoting BluFalcon:
Squirrel Condo.

what he said.

Quoting Diego:

1.91/94 1Gs would be your better catch of a rear end swap...

2.Filler neck can be bought on JNZ new for $48.00 click

3. Fuel tank.... good luck, check junk yards for Galant GSX's they were 4wd as well so I would fathom that they should be interchangeable.

4. Cat I would also look for in a junkyard or place a WTB here on the board for one.
click

Thanks for joining... now do the car justice.

Diego

1. so the 95 which is a 2g rear end and power steering rack will not bolt on?

2. thank you. filler neck will be ordered if i find a stock fuel tank solution.

3. found one in the fs section, i'll be doing a search on this but what are gallant gxs's? i thought they were fwd's swapped to awd!

justice will prevail.

Quoting quicktsi:
Mine preferred the intake manifold area. I did have droppings in the blower motor fan area though. What kind of damage did they do to the wiring?

squirrelly residents left my wires be, prev owner's on the other hand, yeeesh.

Diego

Galant Vr4s 6th Gens were built on 1G platforms...2nd Gen T/E is on the 8th Gen Galant platform...3rd Gen Eclipse is on 10th Gen Galants.....

Ok now that is all clear...

Galant GSX were Awd... that is all.. they were just like the Vr4 but N/A...

Research....

Galantvr4559

If there are no holes in the gas tank u can clean up the outside and paint it. For the inside of the fuel tank they make a three stage treatment to reline the inside of the tank. I did it to a motorcycle tank u just have to fallow directions on bottle. Check ebay or google to find the product. It is a good alternative to replacing the whole tank.

NYC86ZC

The tank doesnt look that bad. I dropped mine last week and POR15'ed it and welded on two new studs for the fuel sending unit. Good as new now.

Where on LI are you located?

ade

Tank can not be saved, it was so pitted after sandblasting i wouldn't feel safe with it on the car. i got it running threw it on the lift to mocked up a 3" turbo back and found rusty brake, fuel, steering lines and a dirty under carriage. i have a 95 gsx shell i was going to pull both front and rear sub-frame's, axles, rotors, brakes etc from but i am yet to throw it on the lift to see whats swappable. I just opened up an auto & cycle shop and haven't found the time for the gvr4 so far the interior been cleaned out and that's it.
IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

tall ars shifter was bugging me so off with its head.

Plans are to pull front and rear sub-frames, fuel, brake and steering lines.
See if the 95 gsx ps rack and front and rear sub-frame bolt on.
Clean up, spray sealant, rubberize the under carriage & wheel wells.
Fit new fuel and brake lines.
mock up 3" turbo back and fuel cell(utilizing the stock location & filler hole)

any1 have an opinion on sub-frame bushings? should i oem or upgrade?

i also plan to replace lines clean up and rebuild the rear steering unit

Last edited:

gtluke

2g suspension stuff won't work, at all. not even close. 1g stuff is a direct swap though.

ade

i apologize for my hardheadedness, I'll listen to the forum members ova my doubts from now on. The car is gonna have to sit while i collect parts and make time for installs, I'll keep y'all posted.

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of Futurama. Old New York is underground and New New York is above it. So when I see the thread I think of a New New York citizen trying to fight a GVR4 transformer or something. A GVR4 transformer would be awesome.

BluFalcon

If one were to name the car, I move to voice my nomination for "Squirrel Bait". I have yet to encounter a car that rodent infested, but you've done a pretty good job of cleaning it up. Looking forward to seeing more progress being made.

fuel

Quoting Diego:
Galant Vr4s 6th Gens were built on 1G platforms...2nd Gen T/E is on the 8th Gen Galant platform...3rd Gen Eclipse is on 10th Gen Galants.....

Ok now that is all clear...

Galant GSX were Awd... that is all.. they were just like the Vr4 but N/A...

Research....

1G T/E/L were actually based on the 6G Galant platform not the other way around.

2G T/E was based on the 7G Galant platform which is also carried over to the JDM/World-spec 8G Galant with a few small changes, the US 8G Galant went away from the multi-link front suspension to macpherson struts like the 6G or Diamante. The 2G T/E definitely has multi-link up front.

The 3G Eclipse is based on the Chrysler Sebring platform, which I believe is loosely based on the US 8G Galant platform (macpherson struts at front and multi-link in the rear)

The 4G Eclipse is based on the 9G Galant. The 10G Galant isn't even released yet.

ade

very educational.

Quoting GVR47111K:
Every time I see the title of this thread I think of Futurama. Old New York is underground and New New York is above it. So when I see the thread I think of a New New York citizen trying to fight a GVR4 transformer or something. A GVR4 transformer would be awesome.

thats what popped in mind when i named the thread:)

Quoting BluFalcon:
If one were to name the car, I move to voice my nomination for "Squirrel Bait". I have yet to encounter a car that rodent infested, but you've done a pretty good job of cleaning it up. Looking forward to seeing more progress being made.

Hah squirrely wrath hehe.. unmm progress.... suuure, here u go.
IMAG0131-1.jpg

ade

time to get started on the under body. every line(brake/fuel/ps) needs replacing, so both sub frames are coming off for a sprucing.
we dont want to do this twice, so i put together a necessary sub frame sprucing parts list. This is where i need some luv,

did a lil searching and came up with the bellow, could use a little help finishing the list.

e brake cables @ ??
frt sub frame bushings @ ??
rear sub frame & mustache bushings @ click

SmoothCustomer

E brake cables seem to be getting hard to get. Try Rock Auto. I recommend JNZ for those subframe bushings. Whatever you do DO NOT order from Tuners Nation. You will not receive your part.

ade

ok thanks to smoothcustomer i've found both ebrake cables, and a front subframe bushing kit from jnz.

i'm still looking for a rear subframe bushing kit, i cant find it on jnz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings