The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello all. I Just Picked Up a GVR4. New parts pile updates 5/15/12!!

GSTwithPSI

Like the title says, I just picked up a GVR4. Although I'm new to the GVR4 scene, I have had a 1G DSM for almost 10 years, and am a pretty frequent user on DSMtuners. I have wanted a GVR4 for at least that long though, and am really excited I finally have one. I Just wanted to say hey to everyone here and let you all know you have one more proud GVR4 owner among yourselves. I am currently deployed overseas, and am hoping to pick up some parts through GVR4.org.

So a little background on the car. It's a 1991 Galant VR4 #1813/2000. The last thing I really need is another 4G63, but I couldn't bring myself pass up the opportunity.

The BAD: Sadly the car needs some work before it will run. There is currently no fuel pump in the tank. The wiring harness near the ECU has been hacked in places by some idiot whose wiring jobs consisted mainly of butt connectors and scotch locks. The CAS has been rigged up all stupid and will probably have to be replaced. The guy before me decided that a junk ass red silicon hose kit from autozone would be a great upgrade. Consequently the vacuum routing is all screwed up and all the junk red hoses will have to be replaced. Those are the major things that I can tell are wrong right now. I'm sure there will be 100 other little things I find as I begin fixing odds and ends. I found a few more of those 100 little things here click

The GOOD: The motor was fully rebuilt the Road Race Engineering. 2G pistons, 1G rods, ported and polished head, ARP studs....the works. The guy I bought the car from had over 5k worth of receipts from RRE. Also installed by RRE was a Big 16G turbo, Front mount intercooler, ACT 2600 clutch and lightened flywheel. Additionally the suspension has KYB AGX adjustables on all four corners. An Ebach pro kit was added and new bushings and such we also replaced. The paint is descent and the body and interior are in fairly good shape. Hopefully a few trips to the junk yard and some internet shopping can take care of most of the cosmetic issues.

I'm planning on returning the car back to stock for the most part. I need an entire fuel pump assembly if anyone knows where I can get one. I'm looking to stack some parts while I'm overseas so I can get it running ASAP when I get back.

img00002201109201825.jpg

img00003201109201825.jpg

img00005201109201826.jpg

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Welcome, I'm still reading your build thread but the car looks good, minus the paint job and rims. For the fuel pump assembly I would post a wtb ad as they are a little harder to find.

Brunoboy

A 1g pump assembly can be modified to do the job .

Welcome to the forums! I may be interested in your 'home brew' exhaust, actually just the down pipe. What's the specs on it?
Shoot me a message please.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSTwithPSI

Believe me, I wish I got to pick the color, as I'm definitely not crazy about it. The rims will also be one of the first things to get replaced when I get back. I have read about modifying a 1G fuel pump assembly, but my concern is the accuracy of the sending unit. I currently have nothing but a hole in the tank, so I will need the entire fuel pump assembly. Is the 1G sending unit the same as the GVR4 unit? And if it is the same, is it accurate mounted to a modified fuel pump assembly? Because I am not familiar with the modification process, and can't really get any solid info from anyone who has done it, I am a little skeptical. Does anyone have and insight on this topic?

raptorWagon

I'll have to check my storage, but I think I still have a spare sending unit that has been modified to use AN fittings instead of the the stock flared pipe, if you wanted to go that route. If you happen to go the walboro route, we use the 2G DSM/Evo style.

Should paint the car back to whatever the original color was, that blue is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif!

Last edited by a moderator:

GSTwithPSI

So Just a little update on the car. I haven't been able to work on it at all and I'm dying to get back to it. I've been deployed about 4 months now, and have another 4 or so to go. While I've been gone though, I have been able to accumulate a good start to my parts pile. I have all of the parts that were absolutely needed to get the car running, and a few extra items as well. Thanks to the classifieds here, and also on DSMtuners, I have got some really good deals on stuff. This is what I have so far:

-Head. I picked up a BRAND NEW head on Tuners (Or "Tooners as I have come to find it's known by members here LMAO. Very nice.). I couldn't believe the deal. So my head/bent valve issues will be completely solved. I guess a machine shop ported 2 of the exhaust runners before the seller lost interest, money, or both without wanting to finish the job. I’ll have to finish the other 2 myself. Check it…

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

head3.jpg

-Fuel sending unit. My car was missing this all together. I picked up a used one from a member here. Now I should have something to put in the gaping hole in my fuel tank.

image013.jpg

-Picked up a nice set of USDM GVR4 fog lights since the previous owner disposed of mine after the front mount intercooler install. I'm confident I can make these work even with the intercooler piping restricting space. Thanks Brunoboy!!!

Fogs.jpg

-A set of JDM headlights and clear corners. Purely cosmetic.

image015.jpg

-Lower Shores Performance MBC. Found this here in the classifieds as well. For the price I’m told the is the best boost controller made. I paid under $45 shipped for this. We’ll see how it works when I get it on the Galant.

image010.jpg

-91 EPROM ECU socketed (thanks prestonztt), now just waiting to find a good deal on ECMlink V3…

image011.jpg

That’s all for now. Looking for a good deal on someone’s ECMlink V3 so I can snatch that up. Maybe some AEM adjustable cam gears, and a Walbro fuel pump as well. More updates to follow soon on the parts list. And as soon as I get home it’s back to working on this beast!!! I'd like to throw out a big thanks to this site and the members here. Overall everyone is very helpful and the information contributed here is great. I have had numerous transactions with members here, all good experiences so far. I would also say that the good guy section here is a great tool, and is my guide to buying from certain individuals. I have been doing quite a bit of trolling around on the forums, and am pretty addicted to the vast amount of input, car builds and information contained here. And just a random question I've been dying to ask, does it seem to anyone else but but me that many of the cars (not only Galant VR4s) listed in the for sale section are grossly overpriced???? I'm all about getting paid and asking whatever you want for your stuff, but some of the asking prices for vehicles are pretty ridiculous all things about the vehicle taken into account. Anyways, more updates to follow soon on the Galant.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Acquired a couple more parts to add to the parts pile for the build:

-Walbro 255

images

-DSMlink V2 (probably just going to pay the $150 and have this upgraded to V3)

img.php

Here's whats on the soon to buy list:

-BC BR type Coilovers. (The car currently has new KYB AGX adjustables all the way around with Eibach Sportline springs. Probably going to be selling these when I get home and switch them out for the BCs. What's a good asking price for a set of 4 KYB AGXs with Sportline springs installed?)

BR_Type.jpg

-A set of Enkei RPF1s (lookin4acar has requested I don't throw the wheels that are currently on the car in the dumpster as I wanted to. He has dibs on my old wheels I suppose.)

41pbqoJjjNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Innovate Auto Timer-Air/Fuel Display LC-1 Wideband kit

AutoTimeer_500.jpg

-Fuelab AFPR kit (Still looking for something cheap and used though, possibly a Aeromotive regulator. I'll go with this if I don't find anything)

map_AFPR-FueLab-DSM-SS.jpg

-2G MAF and Dejon intake with 1g to 2G harness (looking for these used and waiting to find them all together cheap)

images

Well that's all for now. I'm dying to get back home and actually turn my parts pile into a Beast Galant VR4. More updates soon...

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Those are alot of really nice additions.

Okayplayer

There is a guy near me that I found on craigslist that is selling that whole setup. I will pm you his number

GSX_TC

Nice to see your making progress Brett. Wish I still lived over there so I could come help out. Keep us updated man.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting GSX_TC:
Nice to see your making progress Brett. Wish I still lived over there so I could come help out. Keep us updated man.

Yeah me too Mike. How is civilian life treating you? I'm sure if nothing else you at least have more free time now, and have to deal with tons less BS.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Lofty:
Hello, twin.

Hello indeed sir!

I have been following your build. Very nice stuff. What are your plans/goals for the car's end result? Also, I'm just going to put out it there that I am also planning on painting my hood black, so if the universe implodes due the fact that there will be 2 blue GVR4s with black hoods, everyone will know before hand why. The paint on my hood is shot, and I'll probably paint it black until I can come up with a better solution since there's no way in hell I'll ever come close to matching the hideous blue that's on it now. And don't worry, the first chance I get to return the car to one of the GVR4 original colors, I will be doing so. And then, your title of Only Blue VR4 shall be rightfully restored! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

GSX_TC

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting GSX_TC:

Yeah me too Mike. How is civilian life treating you? I'm sure if nothing else you at least have more free time now, and have to deal with tons less BS.

Doing good man, I think I actually have even less free time Now with me working 2 jobs now. But def less BS now that there's no more military games.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting GSX_TC:
Doing good man, I think I actually have even less free time Now with me working 2 jobs now. But def less BS now that there's no more military games.

Sweet man. Less BS is always good, especially when it's less Marine Corps BS. I seemed to be plagued with just that sort of BS right now.

But reexamining this job thing...

More jobs = More money

More money = ...More problems???

I swear I heard that somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

But reexamining this job thing...

More jobs = More money

More money = ...More problems???

I swear I heard that somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Too funny

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts