The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

EVO Zero

So what countries officially called a Galant VR-4 an EVO Zero and if it was ever officially called an EVO Zero in any country was there ever any badging available to reflect that?

Thanks

If I have my facts straight it was never oficialy called an Evo 0, that name was given afterwards. There was however an Evolution version of the VR4 (I believe could be wrong though)

4wheelsqueal

There was a show car that was called the "Zero" evo, think it was a evo 4 or 5 bodystyle that had a paint job to make it look like a WWII mitsubishi zero fighter. But probably not what you're looking for.

fuel

As far as I'm aware the 6G VR-4 was only sold in Japan, the US and Australia. The Australian models were basically the same as the US models apart from being RHD. Only the Japanese models had the Evolution variant.

The JDM models can be broken up into 3 groups:

* Pre-facelift 1987 through to September 1989 models - mechanically these had the 205PS engine with 14B turbo, 450cc injectors, 3-bolt rear end. The RS version had an LSD in the rear and had basic interior with wind up windows (but could have been optioned with electrics if wanted). Looks wise these had the single lamp fog lamps with turn signals in the bumper, colour changing dashboard, the same wheels & spoiler as fitted to the GGSX and the same tail lamps on US '89 models. All models had KM225 gearbox with 3.545 ratios, with some models (most likely RS) having the switchable 2WD/4WD gearbox.

* 'First' facelift October 1989 through to April 1990 - still had the 14B turbo, 450cc injectors and same sized intercooler as above but now had 220PS due to the switch to single board ECU. Updated to headlamps with city lights moved to headlamp cluster, single large bulb corner indicators, same tails as US '91 models, dual lamp fog lamps, deletion of colour changing dashboard, move to 8-spoke alloys and larger bootlid spoiler. Introduction of the 'Super VR-4' which had leather interior and the automatic VR-4 which was detuned to 205hp using TD04 turbo. Non-RS 5spd manual had 3.545 4-bolt rear end while RS had 3.909 4-bolt rear end both with W5M33 gearbox. Autos had 3.307 3-bolt rear end.

* 'Second' facelift June 1990 until the end of production mid-way through 1992 (Evolution spec), only applies to the 5speed manual E38A and E39A models, automatics still same as above - only this model had the big 16G turbo, larger intercooler + piping, 510cc injectors, hood vents, extra bumper vents etc. Introduction of the Monte Carlo VR-4 in both 5spd (Evolution) and automatic (non-Evolution) had black leather interior and colour coded alloy wheels, usually with a sun-roof also. All 5MT Evolution models had 3.909 4-bolt rear, regardless if an RS or not. E39A with 4WS had viscous LSD while E38A RS had plate LSD. Evolution spec had 240hp and 300Nm of torque.

Mine is an Evolution spec but not the RS.

Now that would be interesting bro. If there was officially one, I'd like to know about it. I am sure you all know what I have in mind. (Debadging the car and going EVO 0)...without being too ricey about it. If I get too ricey so what who cares? lol

Quoting Justin_Cosgrove:
If I have my facts straight it was never oficialy called an Evo 0, that name was given afterwards. There was however an Evolution version of the VR4 (I believe could be wrong though)

Yep, I read that one but I am a little ADD sometimes. I'll go back and read again since that really is a good resource. Starting to wonder if the MMC badge quantifies the EVO 0? Maybe not?

Quoting DR1665:
Our man Phil explains it better than I could.

Basically, the Galant VR4 isn't automatically an "Evo 0," but there was a Galant VR4 Evolution. Phil has one.

Good read and thanks. I had no idea that there were so many different options on the 6g platform. Does anyone know how they were badged? Does any one of them actually say "Evolution 0" on it?

Quoting fuel:
As far as I'm aware the 6G VR-4 was only sold in Japan, the US and Australia. The Australian models were basically the same as the US models apart from being RHD. Only the Japanese models had the Evolution variant.

The JDM models can be broken up into 3 groups:

* Pre-facelift 1987 through to September 1989 models - mechanically these had the 205PS engine with 14B turbo, 450cc injectors, 3-bolt rear end. The RS version had an LSD in the rear and had basic interior with wind up windows (but could have been optioned with electrics if wanted). Looks wise these had the single lamp fog lamps with turn signals in the bumper, colour changing dashboard, the same wheels & spoiler as fitted to the GGSX and the same tail lamps on US '89 models. All models had KM225 gearbox with 3.545 ratios, with some models (most likely RS) having the switchable 2WD/4WD gearbox.

* 'First' facelift October 1989 through to April 1990 - still had the 14B turbo, 450cc injectors and same sized intercooler as above but now had 220PS due to the switch to single board ECU. Updated to headlamps with city lights moved to headlamp cluster, single large bulb corner indicators, same tails as US '91 models, dual lamp fog lamps, deletion of colour changing dashboard, move to 8-spoke alloys and larger bootlid spoiler. Introduction of the 'Super VR-4' which had leather interior and the automatic VR-4 which was detuned to 205hp using TD04 turbo. Non-RS 5spd manual had 3.545 4-bolt rear end while RS had 3.909 4-bolt rear end both with W5M33 gearbox. Autos had 3.307 3-bolt rear end.

* 'Second' facelift June 1990 until the end of production mid-way through 1992 (Evolution spec), only applies to the 5speed manual E38A and E39A models, automatics still same as above - only this model had the big 16G turbo, larger intercooler + piping, 510cc injectors, hood vents, extra bumper vents etc. Introduction of the Monte Carlo VR-4 in both 5spd (Evolution) and automatic (non-Evolution) had black leather interior and colour coded alloy wheels, usually with a sun-roof also. All 5MT Evolution models had 3.909 4-bolt rear, regardless if an RS or not. E39A with 4WS had viscous LSD while E38A RS had plate LSD. Evolution spec had 240hp and 300Nm of torque.

Mine is an Evolution spec but not the RS.

Specter

For the sake of this discussion, until proved otherwise, i dont think they have badged any vr4 as evo zero. Partly because lancer evolution would be in the development stage and the last thing on their mind would be to name some variant of the gvr4 as evo zero which they are discontinuing. Officially, it was the lancer which got evolved, hence lancer evolution. The vr4 wont be evolving into anything so i dont think they would name it evolution zero.

This is my thinking, and i could be wrong.

But unofficially naming a vr4 as evo zero your self is all good, after all there wont be any evo's if there was no vr4.

Great detail by fuel as usual! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

fuel

Definitely no Evolution badging on the car itself, but in the homologation papers the 2nd facelift models are referred to as the Evolution, am guessing because they 'evolved' from the earlier model with smaller turbo etc.

It gained the nickname 'Evo Zero' because it was the Evolution before the Lancer Evolution series. The first Lancer Evolution was badged as just that, not an Evo 1 etc. There is also a Pajero (Montero) Evolution.

DR1665

Nevermind the super-cool-guy dual-fog lights and hood vents - I want the 3.909 gearset. In fact, if that comes with the taller 5th a la Evo III, I think that would be my ideal gearbox setup. Plenty of grunt and twist down low, with a Cyclone intake to beef up the middle, and sub-4000rpm cruising at 80mph in 5th.

A guy can dream, can't he? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

fuel

Forget the Lancers, this is a Galant website afterall :p

The very first Mitsubishi to receive the turbocharged 4G63 (in fact the 4G63 in general) was the 4th gen A164A Galant/Eterna in 1980.

raptorWagon

lol, I love the box types! You win though, I thought the Eternas and Lancer EX's got it at the same time in 1980.

rdomeck

Quoting DR1665:
Our man Phil explains it better than I could.

Basically, the Galant VR4 isn't automatically an "Evo 0," but there was a Galant VR4 Evolution. Phil has one.

I read this page before buying a VR4......And because of it I bought one!

fuel

Quoting raptorreed:
lol, I love the box types! You win though, I thought the Eternas and Lancer EX's got it at the same time in 1980.

The JDM models were 1800cc G62B only, and the GSR/GT Turbo versions weren't in production until 1982/1983. Only the European/UK market got the EX2000 GSR but not pretty sure it wasn't as early as 1980, perhaps 1981 though. They had the same early round port injection engine as the A164A Galant/Eterna while the JDM G62Bs followed what the JDM Starions had, with the later model ones having a completely unique inlet pipe system.

JCorbo25

It wouldn't make sense for a badge to say "Evolution Zero" or "Evo 0" since it would just be "Evolution".

I think it would be justified to badge a Galant VR4 as a "Galant VR4 Evolution". Just like there was no "Evolution 1," I believe it was just the "Lancer Evolution."

I may be tempted to put an Evolution badge on a GVR4 though.

RyRy210

Quoting fuel:
Quoting JCorbo25:

I think the car looks good the way it is. I would rather debadge the GVR4 than put an Evolution badge on it, but that's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

Quoting JCorbo25:
It wouldn't make sense for a badge to say "Evolution Zero" or "Evo 0" since it would just be "Evolution".

I think it would be justified to badge a Galant VR4 as a "Galant VR4 Evolution". Just like there was no "Evolution 1," I believe it was just the "Lancer Evolution."

Tre3zy has "Evolution" badge on the back of his Vr4.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts