The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fmic

ill prolly get glamed for this but i tried to search and no luck so here it goes what fmic options do i have would love the ets kit but way out of pricerange for now i was unfortanately thinking ebay but what dimensions should i use i want decent fitment thanks in advanced

mountaineerjeff

cheap vs easy vs quality the evo8 intercooler wins hands down.

mountaineerjeff

yea, I picked up an evo8 intercooler from natecrisman and just got a cheap set of ebay pipes and them.

GSX_TC

Dont ever get Ebay stuff for go fast parts. the only stuff i get off ebay are JDM parts or misc electronics

SouthCaliVR4

I have a Godspeed intercooler off e-bay, works just fine. full bar & plate with internal fins. I've had it on for a few years now with no issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

WaRrIoRs16

I've read that some of the ebay kits have pipe that is too thin and the t-bolt clamps can crush or dent the piping. Probably worth checking out the thickness before you order a kit.

Captn

There is a how too post using stock pipes and an evo 8 fmic. How to: EVO 8 FMIC on stock VR4 with stock piping and bumper. I am at work so I can't post the link.

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
I have a Godspeed intercooler off e-bay, works just fine. full bar & plate with internal fins. I've had it on for a few years now with no issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

whats the dimensions on what u have are u running stock piping or did u peice together a kit??? might need a back up plan lol

GSX_TC

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:

thats because your not making alot of power yet. once you break past 550- 650 Hp those ebay cores fall apart man.

Quoting GSX_TC:
Quoting SouthCaliVR4:

thats because your not making alot of power yet. once you break past 550- 650 Hp those ebay cores fall apart man.

im only lookin for like 350 400 tops and that will still be a bit

GSX_TC

hey im not trying to offend anyone, just saying you get what you pay for. if somebody is happy with an intercooler that was not designed to see that kinda power than hey more power to ya. thats obviously what power level they were shooting for, and thats ok, because not everyone is trying to make 1000 hp. all 3 of my cars will be well over the 500 mark very soon. and i wouldnt dare trust an ebay core nor any other ebay "performance part". when people ask for advice i steer them in the right direction for proven parts. because believe it or not, whats killing our aftermarket support for our beloved VR4's and DSM's is when guys cheap out and buy the knock off ebay crap "because its cheaper". these parts arent always gonna be there for us if these new guys keep buying the cheap stuff, we're not gonna have products for our cars anymore. we need to support venders like tunersnation, extremepsi, machV, MAperformance, JMfabrications, Shearerfabrications, Shep Trans, TRE, ETC ETC

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

I modified the stock piping to work with the core, for now. I'll measure it when I get home but that wont be till around nine-ish. It made a noticeable difference over the stock oil cooler sized unit & cost was around 150 plus two reducer couplers to mate it to the stock pipe size. If I remember right I did hack up the stocker to use one of the bends on the drivers side.

I'm not looking to ever make more than 350-400 with this car, because not race car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

ok picks would be awesome do you remeber the dimensions on the ic and ya i cant wait to get rid of the oem interheater lol

GSX_TC

pr?

4nmscle

Actually fleBay FMICs are not that bad. They have a great fin pitch, but their draw backs are the tanks. I put together an 700+whp Supra and used the XS power 4" FMIC. The psi drop was the same as the Greddy. I just recreated the tanks on the Greddy 4 row.

GSX_TC

yeah punishment racing is another one of those good supporting vendors

dmj

El cheapo CX racing intercooler and pipes works fine, boost comes on hard and early with evo3 16g.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts