The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g or 2g 7Bolt how can the difference :?

Vr4junkie

ok i bought a 7bolt block the guy said it was a 1g 7bolt i think off a 93 well the motor ended up having a spun bearing so i plan on rebuilding this block to stock specs but before i start rebuilding this motor i want to make sure its a 1G 7Bolt or else i wont even bother messing with it guy said it was a 1g but thats what he said about the block being good running condition which i got screwed over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
so how can i tell the difference is there like some serial numbers

GSX_TC

1G head
-Bigger intake ports
-12mm head studs (1.25 pitch?)
-Hall or optical effect CAS on intake cam, passenger side
-Slightly more aggressive stock cams

2G head
-Smaller, higher-velocity intake ports
-11mm head bolts (pitch?)
-95-96 CAS is underneath the intake cam gear on, on passenger side on 97+
-Detuned cams

Misc Differences
-Different thermostats
-Some brackets on the 2g absent on the 1g

and here's a link how to tell them apart from the blocks in various ways click

Vr4junkie

I just got the bare block no Heads so is any thing on the block that i can tell the difference...

GSX_TC

thats what the link is for at the bottom, here it is again click

Last edited:

beaner

He's asking about the difference between a 1g 7bolt block and 2g 7bolt block. You're talking about heads and 6bolt oil pans. But your post count did go up a couple ticks.

click

GSX_TC

ahh ok, i thought he atleast had the oil pan on the block

89Mirageman

1g 7 bolt will have the 1g style oil squirters. Also if it came from a mitsu and not a talon or laser it will have a VIN stamped on it. Run the VIN on carfax for the year model.

GSX_TC

Show me the Carfax!

new-car-fox-1.jpg

OMFGeofffff

If it's a 2g 7bolt then it won't have holes on the back to bolt a motor mount. 2g's had the front, tranny and rear mounts on the transmission.

donkeylips

^^^ You can't run a 2g block in a 1g or gvr4 because of this. That's going to be an easy way to tell. Also with the VIN. Not that a 1g 7-bolt can't work well, but I wouldn't bother with one when you can get a 6-bolt so easily.

Vr4junkie

thanks for the links really helped out so i guess i have a 1g 7Bolt how reliable are the 1g 7bolts? I plan on rebuilding this block and just get my car up and running something just to mess around on the weekends and Build my 6Bolt up on the side... but i been hearing alot about CrankWalk but i dont know if its as bad as people make it seem to be so is it even worth rebuilding this block i just need something for mean while

Brunoboy

How do you even mount a 7bolt in a 6bolt car?

Street Surgeon

If you have a 1G 7-bolt congrats, you have basically the most useable block ever made with the biggest aftermarket available.

beaner

Couple years ago I popped the bottom end of my 6bolt and swapped in a 1g 7bolt shortblock. Figured it wasn't prone to cw and no one wanted to touch it because it was a 7bolt. Win win. After the swap it ran PERFECT and was awesome to drive. About 900 miles into it, the clutch would get a little soft around left turns, idle would bog hard at red lights for no reason. I remember driving in denial for a few hundred miles before accepting that it walked and had to be ripped out. The crank had like 1/4" play side to side. Personally I will never touch a 7 bolt again just because of all the wasted effort and time. I have no hate for 7bolts and if I bought a car that already had one I would leave it be, but for swapping, never again.

As for the swap itself, I'm trying to think of what was different. It was minor stuff. I had to drill out the head for the larger headstuds. My 7bolt was out of a FWD because the front/rear motor mounts were wrong, so that meant I had to modify the starter plate for an AWD flywheel. Had to get 1 flywheel bolt and 7 bolt flywheel obviously. The oil pump and front case is different, the tensioner is different, oil pan is different. I had to cut up my 6 bolt timing belt cover to clear everything. I should have used a 7bolt timing cover to properly set my ignition timing. I'm sure there's other little things I'm forgetting.

If you need any 1g 7bolt accessories let me know. My walked block went to the scrap yard but I kept all the accessories.

OMFGeofffff

Quoting brunoboy:

A 2g 7bolt you can't. A 1g 7bolt like factory.

raptorWagon

Quoting brunoboy:

Break out the handy dandy welder.

89Mirageman

I know when I rebuilt a 1g 7 bolt engine for my last Colt all of the main and rod bearings were different when I ordered them from Mitsubishi. I had to keep up with them when I removed them and each one had #'s stamped on the back. I used those #'s to order new ones. It was a PITA.

You can't just order a set of after market acl's like you can for a 6 bolt.

pauleyman

I don't know why people bitch about any of the 1g 7 bolts motors. THe problems I see in any of the cars have always boiled down to somebody didn't do something right and/or the clutch was way too heavy. The number one thing I've seen over and over and over again is people not knowing how the clutch hydraulics work and even better those stupid extended clutch rods. They do not work. period. They CAN change the engagement of the clutch. Bonus points for anybody that can tell me why.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts