The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My 116$ engine rebuild

Well, let me start off by introducing myself. I'm Zak, new owner of 381/1000. Picked it up in Bakersfield a few weeks ago with a blown motor. This is my first delve into the world of Turbo Mitsubishis. I currently have a Turbo 5 liter Mercury Capri that makes 540 to the tire so I'm no stranger to power.

Since I love to do sh*t on a budget, I decided to see how cheap I could get the Galant running for. So far I have a total of 117 bucks invested and she's running like a champion.

Keep in mind that the engine build you see here was done just for the hell of it, and to prove to my buddy that it's possible to re-use complete trash and make it run good.

Here's a small price breakdown:

Used craigslist short block - 70
1 can copper spray - 5
1 oil pan gasket - 12
1 gallon simple green - 8
1 scrub brush - .99
5 qts. oil - 20

The motor was luckily in decent shape. I completely disassembled it, cleaned and honed the block in my backyard, cleaned the pistons in the sink and scraped the ring grooves with a steak knive. I even re-used the damn rings. I disassembled the head and lapped all the valves, put the springs back on with a broken socket and needle nose pliers. Copper sprayed a used graphite head gasket, copper sprayed intake and exhaust gaskets as well.

Motor fired right up and runs perfect. 150 comp. across the board to boot. The only reason I slopped the motor together is that I have another one that I'm building with forged crap etc. I just want to see just how much abuse this one will handle!

turbowop

You could have saved even more money by using RTV on the oil pan instead of a gasket. They're actually just RTV'd from the factory.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting turbowop:
You could have saved even more money by using RTV on the oil pan instead of a gasket. They're actually just RTV'd from the factory.

This, and I hear that those gaskets leak anyway. Either way this is awesome. I hope this thing runs forever but it won't. I can't believe you washed those parts in your kitchen sink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif It's cool that you have realistic expectations while doing something cheap and fun though! Good luck!

GSX_TC

Wow that's pretty cool that you did that all yourself.

It actually runs really strong. Figure I'll take it to Qualcomm and hammer out some 8.40s

broxma

As the member with, what I believe is, the numbered car closest to yours, I approve of your Low Budget Mafia (LBM) rebuild. Especially the water leak combustion chamber test. Carry on soldier.

/brox

That's pretty neat.. I still wouldst had some serious machine work and did a bse kit.

I did actually remove the balance shafts. Hammered out the bearings and flipped them 90 degrees.

I used to go to qualcomm every month with my sister and her mustang. A 21 year old girl launching on slicks and a 5-speed got her alot of attention! I want to get the galant dialed in before I go, you know hoe finicky they are about registration and battery hold downs etc...

Ha ha, thanks. That box is a trooper. When I went to work at Rolls-Royce I got a little grief over it but WTF, it's paid for. I'd rather not be into the Snap-On guy for a ton of bread.

Launch

Everyones gotta start somewhere, building roots being resourceful A+ man. Use of products, eh. Copper spray never stays stiff and always finds its way into the oiling system (bearings and pump) And like others have said, this motor does not accept a gasket for its pan, Use 3m/permatex gasket maker fyi

I had no idea on the gasket. Hasn't sprung a leak yet and it did have a gasket on there when I pulled it apart so no biggie.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Quoting turbowop:

This, and I hear that those gaskets leak anyway. Either way this is awesome. I hope this thing runs forever but it won't. I can't believe you washed those parts in your kitchen sink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif It's cool that you have realistic expectations while doing something cheap and fun though! Good luck!

they sure do leak, stupid things. I've never made the mistake, but cleaned up others.

Good job on the budget refreshing, most people over complicate the sh*t out of things.

AnotherNewb

I'm not sure I would call it a rebuild but I do give props on the effort. You are quite brave reusing a composite head gasket.

s_firestone

Outstanding!!! Yep, you are so going to fit in around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif $116 has got to be a record. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Update if anyone gives a sh*t:

Motor is running great and I plan on running in in the 1/8th mile here this week. I'l love some predictions from you guys.

Here are the mods......

Big 16g at 8psi
3in exhaust
Stock everything else

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

381gvr4

TWIN! Love the low budget build! I have 381/2000 and would love to stay updated on your 381 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned