The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 trans

mitsu90

Long story short I bought a tranny a few months ago and the guy said it was a 94 trans. turned out to be a 90. According to vfaq to put a 91+ trans in a 90 you have to change the cables and bracket, So would I have to do the same putting the 90 into the galant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Diego

I'm sure it was just the bracket you change out

14u2nV

You need the shifter, cables and brackets for the 90 OR the brackets for the 91+ with 91+shifter/cables.

mitsu90

I changed just the bracket but it seems to come up short during the 1-2 snd 2-3 shift

14u2nV

did you change out the whole bracket, or just 1 of the 2 pieces? the "bracket" is actually two pieces. Are you sure you have 91+ cables and shifter?

mitsu90

All I know is when I put the trans in I had 1234 but not 5 or R so I changed the bracket and now I have them all but it feels like its not fully going int gear

WaRrIoRs16

I'm not sure about the galant, but in my 90 talon I tried swapping just the brackets that bolt onto the transmission, but that didn't do it for me. I couldn't get fully into all of my gears and they would pop out when I drove. I just ended up switching the cables as well and that did the trick.

Gombos

Just to clarify what Launch said, the output shaft on the 90 transmissions is a 22spline while the 91+ transmissions use the 23 spline output shaft. So you would have to get a 22 spline T-Case to run the 90 trans as well.

mitsu90

I got the tranny and tcase both. They are already in the car I just was wondering about what brackets and cables I need to change

14u2nV

I may still have a complete 90 shifter/cables/brackets assy I could make you a good deal on. If interested let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

mitsu90

I am interested.

ok I got another newb question. is 90 the only year for 22 spline? I got to thinking that the tcase I got with the tranny was junk so we put in the one that was on my car to begin with, I know they both are 22 spline I sold a couple tcases a month ago and counted all the splines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

WaRrIoRs16

No, some early 91 DSMs had 22 spline transmission and transfer cases. My friend just got his 91 eclipse transfer case returned to him because it was in fact a 22 spline.

14u2nV

they wouldn't have gone together if the splines were different, you can't force a square peg into a round hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mitsu90

obviously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I was just making sure that I didn't already have a 90 trans, Did some more looking and it seems that I may need to swap over the shift levers on the tanny.. Hope this works

mitsu90

We got it all worked out, You need to change the cable bracket and the shift levers on the trans.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts