The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone ever install a trunk popper on their Galant VR4?

alansupra94

I kind of got tired of the damn truck release getting all messed up so has anyone installed a electric trunk release?

Just thought I would ask.

TurboTrader

I installed a DEI unit to go with my Avital Remote-Start in my old VR-4. It worked great with the remote. I never got around to installing the button inside since my lever always worked fine.

6gCarb

Installing that will probably the best was to go, i had this installed and worked fine. don't forget the button installed since you said the trunk release is all messed up. that way you don't have to press the button on the remote whilst inside the car.

89Mirageman

This is crazy, I just sent Curtis a pm about this 30 minutes ago. Anyway the 92-95 Hyundai Elantra's come with these from the factory, the button is on the D/S door but you could mount it anywhere. These cars are easy to find in the junkyards. I grabbed the switch and the solenoid a while back to put on my colt since its a base model with no lever. Should be fairly easy to make it work and you can get them free/cheap.

6gCarb

@89Mirageman
This is true on being low cost mod or cheap and that you can have it installed on d/s or any door. If am not mistaken , this is the same thing they use when some people modded their doors with shaved off handles.

RayH

There's a trunk cable guide that's supposed to be attached to the trunk hinge. If it comes loose or is missing it can add just enough slack to prevent the cable from opening the trunk. You can zip tie the cable to the hinge to remove the slack.

6gCarb

the one connected in my trunk latch prevented my trunk to close as well. i remembered banging my trunk like a barbarian for it to close for over 30 minutes and found out that it was the thing attached to the trunk latch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

alansupra94

I will definitely look into this over the weekend. I still have quite a bit of electric stuff to work/sort out.

fuel

often the trunk release lever gets all loose because the bolt securing it to the floor winds itself out. Just gotta lift up the carpet and tighten the bolt again, perhaps with loctite on the threads this time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned