The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to: remove main harness "grommet"

DR1665

On the firewall, under the wiper motor, there is a larger, rubberized grommet-type deal around the main harness as it passes through the firewall on the passenger side. It has arrows and the word "PUSH" written on it in multiple places, as well as the word "UP." I've tried turning pushing pulling gently prying, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas how to get this doodad free? I'm getting ready to paint the bay and would rather not have sloppy paint on this thing.

TIA.

EDIT: pic

Last edited:

DR1665

LMFAO. That was awesome, John. BEST RESPONSE EVER.

Ultimately, the $8/roll painters tape I bought at Harbor Freight was about as good at masking areas off as the $7 ratchet I bought at the same time.

I managed to get the rubber grommet off, pulled back, and taped off, only to have the tape come loose mid-spary. Frakit.

DR1665

@Romanova: I just picked up some gloss white Rustoleum spray paint. I've got a can of gloss clear, but don't know that I'll even need it.

Returned the shitty Harbor Freight tape, got proper 3M tape at Home Depot (actually cheaper, go fig), and decided to knock it out last night. Still needs a little touching up here and there, but I'm pretty excited. After this, I'm gonna pull the rack, get those 4WS lines hacked/sealed, and clean up the wire harness. From there, it's non-ABS brake lines/prop, and the engine goes in. Wo0t!

Romanova

I'm in the process of pulling my motor now... might have to consider this. No amount of elbow grease and polish is going to save my paint in the engine bay...

DR1665

@Romanova: I did not go all out on the paint prep for this either, by the way.

1. Stripped the engine bay (master cylinders, boosters, relays, hoses, et al., pulled away from the surfaces
2. Loose dirt removed with an old paint brush
3. Sprayed off with the hose (finger-over-the-end style)
4. Soaked liberally with Simple Green
5. Scrubbed again with the paint brush
6. Hosed off liberally to remove any Simple Green residue
7. Air dried
8. Masked with blue, 3M painter's tape
9. 2.5 cans of Rustoleum High Gloss spray paint (several light coats, of course)
10. Removed masking tape

Total cost:
$10 painter's tape, (1) 1" roll, (1) 2" roll
$10 (2) cans Rustoleum High Gloss spray paint
$0 (had plenty of Simple Green on-hand)

EDIT:
Post-painting shot with masking tape removed for future reference.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts