The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5-lug and TEL rear subframe and front control arm swap

I have access to my friends 94 Talon Tsi that the motor siezed up on. I was thinking of doing the complete rear subframe swap and eliminate the 4WS and do the 5-lug swap also since he has my old evo 8 rims on the car. I did some searching and I think the rear is a direct bolt-in correct? also would the front control arms be bolt-on as well. he has energy bushings in his control arms and I figured it would be easier just to swap the front arms if possible?

Also, would the Talon steering rack be a direct swap? this might be a better/cleaner way to go since I would'nt need to worry about capping off the rear lines.

AnotherNewb

Tel control arms wont work, galants have more caster in the front.

Boost4U

As Cherrod said, I just swapped out the entire suspension, subframes(both) 5 lugs and all from my Laser. To include steering rack and control arms. This was all done to make the 4 bolt and 5 lug swap as quick and painless as possible. It worked out great. the car sits pretty low but I'm ok with that. I have a few different sets of springs that I can swap out to see what works best. If you need any pictures just let me know I'll go get them for you. You can use you GVR4 struts and springs to bring the ride height back up. I didn't because I have AGXs and car is more race oriented than street. Hope this helps

donkeylips

This is the cleanest way to do the 4WS removal - definitely go with the TEL steering rack. The rear subframe will bolt right up and be slightly cleaner. So will the front subframe. All control arms including the front lower A-arms are the same. The struts have different part numbers but are interchangeable. The springs are different.

Some of the part number differences you might find in CAPS might have to do with ABS vs. non-ABS since most TELs don't have it. The rear trailing arms bolt up and are cleaner if they don't have the ABS holes(assuming you don't have ABS). Front knuckles are the same (but remember that FWD and AWD knuckles are different, and abs vs non-abs are different. You'll find all have the revised part number which is ABS). The rear sway bar is only different on the gvr4 to accommodate the 4WS(TEL sway bar will work if you don't have 4WS).

The crossmembers in the engine bay (both sides and front) are different between TEL and galant.

So in summary - everything will work but the springs(although they will fit) and front crossmembers, you just have to watch out for ABS vs. non-abs and IMO if you're deleting the ABS go with non-abs front knuckles and rear trailing arms.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Sorry if I missed this but isn't the GVR4 rear swaybar thicker? Might pay to swap that over if so.

Boost4U

Quote:
The crossmembers in the engine bay (both sides and front) are different between TEL and galant.

So in summary - everything will work but the springs(although they will fit) and front crossmembers, you just have to watch out for ABS vs. non-abs and IMO if you're deleting the ABS go with non-abs front knuckles and rear trailing arms.

What's different about the crossmembers? I pulled everything straight out of my laser in one piece and bolted it into the vr4. I can take a few pictures to show they are the same if needed.

thedsmguy

I'm pretty sure I'm running a dsm front and front to back subframe bars as well. Only because I had them and they were a heck of a lot cleaner and already painted etc. Maybe I'm going crazy tho... not sure.

raptorWagon

Quoting FavNumber:
I think the control arms are the same part number. I just bought some, ill double check.

the rears are the same, but the front are different.

donkeylips

CAPS shows a different part number for the crossmembers - that's all I was basing it on. I have never actually compared them.

The front left control arms both have the part number MB573093 for TEL and gvr4.

Last edited:

So if I use the talon steering rack is there anything else to do with removing the AWS other then removing the lines going to the back and the rear rack?

donkeylips

Non 4WS PS reservoir. I think the gvr4 has two PS cooler lines?? Not sure but mine did, so you can basically make the PS lines in the engine bay run like they would in any other Galant, and most of the parts can come from a TEL.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts