The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Removing extra headlight sealant after removing glass

Just wondering if there is a way to get that grey stuff out before I use black RT or "The Right Stuff" to reseal it.

I don't want to be stuck on it all day if possible or even worse have to do it again.

Thanks

PJGross

Should be able to keep reheating it in the oven to soften it and pick it out of the groove?
If it softens enough to separate it in the oven, then the OE sealant was a non-curing hotmelt.
The thing is that it is so high viscosity that you won't be able to liquify it, just soften it.

That said, I've only been involved on the OE assembly side of things, I haven't taken them apart myself for home use. You definitely want to get it all out of there and clean w/ mineral spirits b/c the silicone won't stick to the butyl or whatever base that hot melt is.

-PJ

curtis

Thats the only way ^^^^ I've probably taken apart and put together more fogs and headlights than any one on this forum. Heat one at a time in the oven, over and over and over. Yea it sucks. Its usually 20 minutes in and 2 minutes to work, Just have assorted flat tip screwdrivers ready. I've tried every chemical I can find and nothing softens the stuff. As for the glass you can use a single use razor over and over to cut it then heat and do it again and again. I've actually used a wire wheel on the bench grinder but it has to be clean and don't concentrate on one spot for more than a second or it will burn the glass. This also takes off the paint on top rather well. Don't even think about it on the thermoset resin backplates heat scrap more heat.

For you reading this that have never tried it....its an all day job. Preheat oven to 175 while its heating remove everything you can. Start at 175 for like 20 minutes then 185 for 10 try to separate and slowly move up in temp till it starts to separate with a wide plastic scraper. Metal flat tip will chip or explode the glass. Been there done that a few times. Do not go over 220 degrees and JDM fogs are the absolute worst. I did one set once that was gravy but all the rest have sucked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif And the easy set were clean but not new and perfect like others I've done. Just never know until you try.

Thanks all...while waiting for a response, I did go with a metal flat blade screw driver and did get away with it. 175 degrees for 20 minutes and 200 degrees for 5 minutes. Didn't have the time or patience to remove it all and sealed it with "The Right Stuff" RTV. Will see if moisture gets in there. I bet it doesn't.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned