The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sprung vs unsprung clutch?

Still need more...so sprung or unsprung? specifically xtd stage 3 or 4...i have read some other write ups on unsprung I have commonly seen the same thing. That unsprung is strictly race cars only and will eventually damage the tranny internals in a short period of time. anybody? thanks for all the help in advanced and jackin threads is cool if it is still on topic, something i also may face God forbid.

incorrect. I daily drive two cars on unsprung clutches. I do not like sprung clutches, ive had 4 springs pop out on me in my AWD cars. I have 10k on one unsprung and 40k on another. Its really not that different feeling than a sprung, just have to get used to it.

4thStroke

You may hear drivetrain harmonics on decel while in gear. It definitely won't be as smooth or street friendly as a sprung disc, but they aren't that bad at all, it just takes a few miles to get used to. Having no springs is a bonus from a reliability standpoint.

I daily drive my car with a quartermaster twin disc which has two unsprung 6 pucks and get a lot of noise on decel, more than any other unsprung clutch I have ever experienced, including other QM cars.

The unsprung disc weighs significantly less and should allow for quicker shifting.

Ok ok... but how much damage is being done to the syncros here. For direct engagement you pay the price by shocking the tranny during shifts which means decreased tranny life.
I was at first all in with the unsprung but now I'm leaning toward a 6puck sprung clutch, I really want something smooth for daily driving. I'm pushing around 300 no plans for anymore...how common is the exploding spring thing or how soon could that unexpectedly happen?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts