The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What battery are you running?

Brunoboy

click that's the battery I have which is rated at 450cca and 575 mca, if I
Don't use my car for a few days it'll start up but I have days when I shut my car off after driving and if I leave my headlights on for even 10 minutes or leave my radio on to listen to music for a short bit, the car doesn't have enough juice to crank over again. So what kind of batteries do you run in your car? I also noticed my aftermarket boost gauge is always blinking light unless I'm under load so I am thinking the battery doesn't have enough power to power the car and the gauge and fuel pump rewire are all direct to battery.
-shane

JSchleim18

click

Keeps the car at 13.4 volts at least while cruising around town and that's with the battery in the trunk. Also, left the car off for a week and fired up no problem.

Brunoboy

oh my battery is in the trunk as well. can you play your radio when the motor isnt running? Thanks. Anyone else have another battery they are running? I wanna know options

Brunoboy

which yellow top?

JSchleim18

I have yet to try the radio without the car running. The battery is 2 years old but I never put it in until about 2 months ago. I also went with the 25/35 series because it was the lightest option 12v redtop.

Brunoboy

ok, thanks, im looking for a battery that wont let me down if i turn my radio on for a few if i have to sit in a parking lot or something.

alansupra94

I wouldn't recommend a red top if you want to run anything directly of the battery. Reason being is if you drain it too much, you will hurt the battery or even destroy it.

You would need a yellow top or any deep cycle battery that is capable of being drained and recharged without any problems.

WaRrIoRs16

I'm using the Odyssey PC 925 and I love it. I have left my lights on twice and drained the battery and with only the help of a extra shitty miata battery I have I got it started and runs great afterwards. I haven't had the battery for quite a year though. It will definitely play my steroe, amp, sub, and all with the car off.

I have a redtop optima as well (from previous owner). Car sat for a month after the bellhousing cracked, then another month for a rebuilt tranny. Car started up every time and when I use the radio (even for an hour). Optimas are the way to go, and my battery is located in the trunk as well.

Brunoboy

Quoting alansupra94:
I wouldn't recommend a red top if you want to run anything directly of the battery. Reason being is if you drain it too much, you will hurt the battery or even destroy it.

You would need a yellow top or any deep cycle battery that is capable of being drained and recharged without any problems.

i have the Yellow Top 51, 450/575 and it doesnt seem to be doing a great job at what i need it to do. Yea I have the fuel pump connected to it, and the Gauge direct to battery. I also have a grounding thread somewhere because I figure with everything I have hooked up, I need more grounding spots.

alansupra94

4 gauge honestly might be a little on the small side for that long connection. I went with 0 gauge knowing I would need it.

JSchleim18

4 gauge is fine for the alternator but you should do at least 2 gauge for the battery. I went with 1 or 0 at the time I forget.

RayH

I also have a D51 Yellow Top and have let it drain down a few times since I'm not driving the car. If you're not driving the car often you probably need to put a good charger on it. Note that the Optima and other AGM batteries have a slightly higher float voltage than standard batteries and only a few chargers are adjustable for the higher voltage.

The other major tip is that it's possible to revive an Optima that looks dead to a charger by temporarily charging it to a useable voltage with a jump or hooking up a good battery in parallel to get the voltage up to a level where the charger thinks it can be charged.

Brunoboy

yea its happened to me before. I have already had to charge the battery a couple times and tricking it in parallel with my brothers car battery.

Brunoboy

Quoting JSchleim18:
4 gauge is fine for the alternator but you should do at least 2 gauge for the battery. I went with 1 or 0 at the time I forget.

so just drop the 4 gauge and use it for grounding wires? and switch to a 0-2 gauge wire for the battery?

JSchleim18

You could do that yes. But I'd run a 2-0 gauge wire from the battery's negative terminal to a good ground in the trunk. Then you could use the 4 gauge wire for alternator wiring if you don't already have it and the ground for the transmission/starter.

Brunoboy

so battery ground should be a 0-2 as the power to main fuses? how about starter wire? should it be 4 gauge or 0-2 gauge?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts