The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sart up after 2 years sitting, what to do?

My motor hasn't run for about 2 years, should I add a bit of oil to aid start up? should I change the oil before I start it? what other things should I do before starting it? A noob question I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif but I don't want to cause unecissary wear and I realy don't know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Terry Posten

Change the oil, make sure all the fluid levels are good, and fire it up. Your gas may be funky but I bet it will run. Just don't push the motor until you get fresh gas in the tank.

Thanks for the reply Terry, I should add that the motor is going into a car that just two days ago competed a 600km trip, only the motor it's self has been sitting. So just change the oil and filter? I guess the oil is going to coat the insides nicely as I pour it in?

Cheers

fuel

I would change the oil & filter, and unplug something like the coil packs or even the ECU and wind the engine over on the key until the engine gets oil pressure and the oil light goes out - then re-connect what you unplugged and start it up. It may blow a bit of smoke for the first few mins too while it clears all the crap from sitting out from the cylinders. With the DOHC engines it may take a while when turning over on the key for all the hydraulic lifters to pump up correctly and close the valves - have seen a few when sitting for a while will keep the valves open ever so slightly and sounds like there's no compression, but shouldn't take too long for them to start functioning properly.

Thanks for that fuel. Start up day should be Wednesday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightning1

One thing that I like to do is pour a little wd40 or engine fogger into each cylinder to get the bare walls with lubrication. It will burn off, but if the engine was pulled and not fogged or sealed off, a little surface rust sometimes forms if the valves are open.

just my .02

thank you I might just do that, it's what I used to do with early english and american stuff too. That and pour a bit of gas down the carb and they fired right up, now where's the carb located on these engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned