The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cleaning up some Rust

dlesser

Even though I live in Colorado and the GVR4 is a Colorado car it still managed to get some cancer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. I was only going to clean and detail the car but I decided that enough time had gone by and it was a long enough weekend to remove the front quarter panels and empty the dirt our of the pockets that manage to keep it in the car. I got everything off and dumped about 5lbs of dirt, rocks, and pine needles from between the front quarter panels and frame.

Thus, do to the junk in the quarter panel I found that some surface rust had started. In an ideal situation I would have loved to strip everything down and grind and sand it all away. So, until I get to that point I figured I should fire up the air and wire wheel as much as possible. I worked on this for a large part of yesterday and here are the before pics. Later today I will post pics of the same spot after I have the white primer on there.

This area is under the quarter panel so my real goal here is to prevent the rust from getting any worse till I can get some professional time to repair it.

BluFalcon

My car was originally a Colorado car and I had rust in the same area, except mine was quite a bit worse. The body guy ended up making new patch panels for both sides and welded it in and sealed it with POR-15. Hopefully that kind of cancer is a thing of the past not that the car is in Texas, and isn't a daily driver anymore.

dlesser

I have some future plans to repaint the GVR4 and during that process I will cut out the cancer and weld in some new material. It really is only a small spot for me but its just going to grow and get worse. My temp fix is to keep it from getting worse over the next 6 months. So, here are some pics of what I ended up doing. I buzzed off as much of the bad material as possible and then painted over the newly exposed metal with some white primer. This should help prevent the problem from getting worse till I can correctly fix it.

Last edited:

fastfalcon94

Mine had a little bit of rust there too, but not as bad as yours. I was really surprised too. When I did the 4ws delete, all the bolts I removed from under the car came right out. Nothing was really rust at all. The area behind the front fender just gets filled up with dirt. Then moisture gets in there and it sits and rots. I sandblasted the rust away yesterday and I'm going to fill it with some fiberglass today. Then I think I'm going to drill 1-2 bit holes on the underside of it just to let future moisture drain.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts