The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1G or 2G Mainfold

Vr4junkie

I have a question is this a 1g or 2g Mainfold

Boost4U

How big is the opening for the turbo. There are 3 different sizes 1g auto(smallest) 1g 5 speed little bigger and the 2g. I'll go out and measure all three when I get off work if you havent figured it out yet.

Vr4junkie

Really I was hopping it was a 2G if I get this mainfold ported will it work with a big 16G .meaning will it perform well ?

dsm10o0

you can find a 2g mani for around 30-50 bucks. Look around on the other forums.

89Mirageman

89ColtGT has a 2g manifold for sale cheap right now, he's a great guy to deal with as well. The outer holes on a 2g mani will be larger plus they have a raised rectangle section on the right side looking at it from the front. He has pics in his thread, you can compare them and see the difference.

Vr4junkie

Alright im most likly wont use this Mainfold the one that was on the car was cracked perty bad....Ok so if i get a 2G Mainfold and get it Ported will it work good with a Big 16 Turbo??

2g or EvoIII will work fine there is usually a few on sale in the marketplace.....

Vr4junkie

Ok I might just go with the 2g for now

Launch

GVR4 in japan had a 7cm ex manifold with there big16G fyi tad smaller than evo3 but thicker than USDM 1G.
2G has a rised flat area where the left corner of the heat shield bolts to, unlike the stub on the 1G
Most importantly is the divider, which the chinese never get right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif and casting materials, molding etc...

fuel

^^ Not all JDM GVR-4s have the Big16G/7cm housing, only the 90 onwards 'Evolution' spec 5MT vehicles. All Automatics and pre-facelift and early 1990 non-Evolution 5 speeds have the regular 14B/6cm turbo.

beaner

That looks like a copy or reproduction of a 1g turbo manifold. I'm not sure how much the 1g/2g/evo/whatever manifold is important as far as an upgrade goes. The thing to pay attention to is size out of the head into the manifold, and out of the manifold into the turbine housing. More often than not, I have to port the sh*t out of the turbine housing to have it equal/bigger than the manifold. Keep in mind the way the exhaust flows. You want it smooth without steps or 'walls' to screw up the flow. My current setup has an Evo III GT manifold, which I assume is a hogged out Evo III manifold recasted. It's HUGE compared to my stock 1g manifold. Has the stock 4-bolt turbine housing bolt pattern, but the exit is near 8cm. I had to port the sh*t out of my BEP turbine housing [brick] -and- RRE 7cm gasket just to make the exhaust gasses flow correctly. I can't imagine that manifold bolted to a stock 6cm or even 7cm turbine housing inlet would do anything but do harm unless some serious porting was done.

fuel

Evo III GT? errr?? you 'mericans now making up cars that don't exist? :p

beaner

The manifold is named Evo III GT, I think. Like I was guessing, someone hogged out an Evo III manifold, tapped it for EGT, then had it recasted exactly like that. It is not OEM.

evo3_exhaust_manifold_compare2%5B1%5D.jpg

Imagine it next to a 1g manifold. Due to it's size, I think it would be a downgrade unless installed correctly. Bigger != better.

fuel

Ahh right! That manifold definitely looks much better!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned