The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Automatic Seatbelt off track....how to fix?

alansupra94

Does anyone know how to fix the seat belt when its off the track? Mine seems to have gotten fubared on the drivers side. Passenger side still works perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. I searched and didn't find anything.

SouthCaliVR4

you'll have to replace it, check at the dealer. when I worked for Mazda under fed law their on the hook for it since its a safety system & should have to replace a defective one @ no charge. you may have to make a stink, they'll try to snowball you. get in contact with the district rep if the dealer refuses.

alansupra94

I guess I will have to call the dealer. From what I have read, these are discontinued right?

SouthCaliVR4

I'm not sure on that. I never had to do any of them when I worked for mitsu but at mazda we did a bunch. If it is discontinued I'm sure one of the guys parting one out can hook you up or you can do the swap to 89 manual belts, some fabrication is required.

alansupra94

So basically you are saying once seatbelt gets messed, I need a whole new track/assembly?

Damn it man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dlesser

Mine just recently broke and I went to the junk yard and picked up the entire track system, motor....everything for $25.00. It was at a u pull it lot so I also had to pay $2 to get in. You can easily replace the entire system in 30 minutes. Unless your really careful you may need to pull the headliner to get the two bolts at the top of the track.

Does the motor still try to run the seat belt? If so, does it move at all or is it stuck in one position? There is a little tab on the pillar next to the driver seat. If you pull it you can use a tool (I think it is an Allen wrench) to manually move the seat belt.

I will be going to the yard again and there is a 1991 Galant LS with automatic belts there. I will see if it is still on the car.

alansupra94

I haven't looked at it yet. Some kind of plastic rope line came out of it today though so I am not 100% but I get the feeling that is what pulls it along so it might be shot. I will be taking a serious look tomorrow and this whole holiday weekend.

I know the motor still works because I hear it making noise.

dlesser

Hate to say it but that plastic rope thing is the metal cable that is wound up to pull the seatbelt back to the locked position (like when driving). I have yet to get one backing that worked longed enough to make it worth the effort.

It is possible to fix you just need to find the jam....usually is in th coil which is the white encapsule towards the bottom of the pillar behind the driver seat. Really is any part is broken its best to get a whole new unit or go manual.

alansupra94

Yeah I really don't have time to f*** with it. I am sure someone would sell me a used one for $20-$30. I am just going to remove it tonight and toss it aside.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned