The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electrical charging system design? Good? Bad? Ideas?

alansupra94

Here is my electrical system design. I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on what I should do.

1. Does my fusing look correct? Should I get a breaker or fuse on the alternator? What size?
2. Do you think a 15 Farad Capacitor is a good idea?
3. Is it plausible to use a capacitor as a source of power when the car has been turned off? Or does it not really provide much long term power but rather only short term bursts?

Right now those 1200W and 600W are over estimates for my power needs but I figured I might as well overbuild the system. I already have a 250amp alternator since I bought it three months ago and forgot about it. I may need some help setting that but I will get more information and a diagram then. Just doing groundwork right now.

RayH

The capacitor is a really inefficient source of long term power so only get one as large as the instantaneous power needed. For the solar panel and charge controller you might want to check out the ones made by BatteryMINDer. Note that solar charging with 30W is only good for keeping the battery topped off and if it's been well drained you're going to have to put it on a regular charger.

alansupra94

Yeah the solar charging system is just to be used as a battery maintainer. Since I have a yellow top battery and got the panel for like $30 I figured I could wire it in for safe keeping. I see your point about the capacitor so I might just use the 1 farad one I have in the garage for now.

I really could use some help with the fusing though.

RayH

Sorry, not too sure about the fusing but the 200 amp fuse between the cap and battery seems a bit high unless you plan an adding more stuff to the distribution block.

alansupra94

Well when I calculated it out 1200W + 600W = 1800W = 150amps. So I figured I might as well ad a little head room. I guess I could use a 160amp or 175amp.

Any other suggestions? I know the alternator should have a fuse shouldn't it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts