The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Should i take my crank to get cut or just buy a new one

Vr4junkie

I just took off My Crank and one of the journals is damaged so should i get it cut or buy a new one??

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Put a heavy-duty impact gun on the large nut head and spin that off. Then, if the gear won't pull straight off, use a bolt pulled set and pull it off.

rdomeck

I just pulled my engine apart last night and didn't have to use any puller. You do need to get the big bolt off. I was able to use an electric impact as my air impact was at my shop and I'm doing this project at home! Good luck.

Vr4junkie

OK I have an Electrical impact wrench so what can i use to hold the crank still i have a bar i can put in to hold the crank still will that work i just want to make sure never done this before and don want to mess anything up

524of1000

you shouldn't need to hold the sprocket if you're using the impact...

Vr4junkie

ok i took off the crank shaft and one of the journals is a lil damaged the other ones are smooth ... So my question is this what are my options take it to a machine shop or buy a new Crank i heard somthing about our cranks about getting machined not sure though so tell me what you guys think

rdomeck

I understand that these cranks are nitrated. What that means is that they are ground and then hardened and then polished. I used to rebuild a lot of Porsche engines that had nitrated cranks and never had much success at having them ground locally. I might be in the same shape with my crank, but I haven't measured it yet. No scoring, but I had the #3 main not getting oil for about 400 miles. I'm planning on making the trip to the machine shop tomorrow and will give you an update on what they say.

boostedinaz

^^^^

Correct they are nitrated and it only goes so deep into the crank. When the crack in ground it can take most or all of that hardened layer off. A lot of people have had good luck running cut cranks but for me I would never run one. Used cranks are cheap enough that finding one should be easy and would be worth the piece of mind to me.

My .02

Vr4junkie

Boostedinza and rdomeck thanks for ur opinions....im probbly ganna go with a good used one

rdomeck

Well, I have measured and remeasured and have found that I don't have to have any machine work done, so I can't give the advice of the machine shop! I would check and make sure that your crank doesn't just have the bearing material built up on it. They are hardened and what you see may be the bearing material and could polish out? Just a thought!

Vr4junkie

now that you mentioned that I have noticed there are some spots that are some what smooth and have a bead like feel. And on other spots it feels like tiny little knife cuts. Glad you mentioned this might take a trip to the machine shop tommorow. That would be awsome if it just needs a polish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif this is my first time taken a motor apart so this is all new to me

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts