The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 Lug swap?

Hondakiller

Can anyone help me? Im looking in to doing a 5 lug swap on my gvr4. I was told I can use 3000gt vr4 parts and brakes which would be great. but I dont want it be a big project. If It just bolt on that would be nice.

jmorri15

the front brakes on the 3kgt base and sl are the same as we already have on the gvr4 you can do the vr4 brakes if you want. as far as the 5 lug swap goes i would get the hubs from a e/t/l awd which is what i did. then all you need is front rotors from a 3kgt sl and backs from a 1st gen dsm. the back brakes on the 3kgt are a completely different design from the dsm/gvr4 and since they really dont do that much in stopping the car i wouldnt worry about changing over the 3k's

524of1000

All you really need are the 5 lug hubs and rotors off of a 1g AWD DSM. The 3000gtVR4 brakes are an option, however, keep in mind that the Calipers are MUCH larger than ours so you will need a wheel with at least +38 offset(IIRC), the correct rotors and the custom brackets to make them fit.

jmorri15

not all of the dsm have the 2 piston front calipers, if i remember right it was 92 before they changed to the big brake, so thats why i said pick up front rotors from a 3kgt just to be safe

524of1000

But his Galant should already have those calipers.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I use the OEM GVR4 calipers, however I'm switching those out for the 3kgtVR4 calipers that I have in my garage.

524of1000

OH! You'll need 5 lug wheels too.... Can't forget those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

If you want to use rear calipers from a 3kgt vr4 then you will need to swap the rear trailing arms. They should bolt right in, but due to the parking brake being a different design, you'll have to sort out an issue with parking brake cable length. RedTwo has done it. Check out the NZ/AUS builds thread.

NYC86ZC

I just did the 5 lug swap this past weekend. I used 93 TEL front rotors. They're the big ones you need, the 92's and earlier and smaller if you're keeping the gvr4 calipers.

Quoting jmorri15:
not all of the dsm have the 2 piston front calipers, if i remember right it was 92 before they changed to the big brake, so thats why i said pick up front rotors from a 3kgt just to be safe

rdomeck

TEL stands for Telephone doesn't it?

Hondakiller

yeah ok Thats what I was thanking. Was not sure. See it is hard to find Awd cars In the bone yard where I am at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I found 1 and it was a 2g now will 2g work as well?

PreskitVR4

fwd spindles better on lowered cars, pick up point much lower for outer tie rods, keeps steering geometry mo betta.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned