The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 stutters, growling and holding in on low rpm

Hello everyone,

I did use the search button, but i didn't found my answer.
This is my problem:

When i bought my car it was driving horrible. It had a few boostleaks and it was always slow. I solved a boostleak at my TB and i replaced my 1g BOV for a HKS SSQV bov. It drove veerrrryyy good for about 2 days. The car was driving very smooth and great gas response. But after a few days it became slow in low rpms. Now it only has a great response from 4000 rpm. When i put my pedal on the ground before the 4000 RPM it wil stutter a bit, en it seems like he's growling or something. Even above the 4000 rpm. This is only when i put my pedal on the ground before the 4000 RPM. When i put my pedal to the ground after the 4000 RPM, it is realy quick and has a great gas response.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Mario

AnotherNewb

When you installed the hks bov, did you make sure to recirculate it if your still using a draw threw maf?

i use a 2g MAF i believe... And the bov is recirculated like the original one. So that should be oke!
I think the strange thing is that he was driving bad after a few days...

AnotherNewb

How are you compensating for the 2g maf? 550cc injectors, eprom chip, safc?
Do you have some way to log the car? What are your fuel trims at?
Try unhooking the battery and resetting the ecu.

Hello!

Thank you for your help.
I don't know. I just bought it like this with a 2g maf. I saw i have the original blue top injectors. I have nothing to log or something else from your list. Do you think this is a fuel problem?
When i mounted the BOV i took the + from the battery to create some space. Can you tell me how i can reset my ECU?

(i'm sorry for the noob questions, this is my first galant. I had a few honda's before. Don't shoot me:p)

Thank you very much man! I just reset my ecu and it works. It drives realy good now!

AnotherNewb

Congrats... glad I could help. My suggestion to you now is to find your boostleaks and find a way to compensate for the use of your 2g maf. Most common way to make up for the 20% less airflow signal is to install 550cc injectors. Blue tops are most likely oem 450cc injectors. You can also use an safc or a custom eprom chip of sorts.

Ok! But can you tell me a bit more about it? The signal from the MAF is 20% less than it should be?
So when i just install 550cc injectors the problem should be solved?

AnotherNewb

The problemis that the 2g maf reports something like 20% less airflow than the factory maf. Swapping 550cc injectors balance the difference out.

Oke thank you for that info. I will search for 550cc injectors. But to be clear, is it possible my car run's TO lean or is that not possible because of the fuelcut?

(ps. I hope you understand me. I'm from the Netherlands and sometimes it is hard to find the right words!:p)

AnotherNewb

It probably is running too lean since the maf is reporting 20% less air to the computer. I would suggest investing in a way to log the computer. Im willing to bet your fuel trims are
all out of wack after a couple days of driving.

As far as your english... you have better grammar than most newbies...

You were right, my fuel trim is already out of wack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.. So i'm hunting some 550cc injectors! Thanks again for your help!

I saw the chips from keydiver aren't for sale anymore. Is there a site/company with the same services? So i click some options on the internet and they send it to the Netherlands? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

Im not really sure who burns chips anymore. Try searching over at dsmtuners.com
Dsmlink is a great tuning solution but may be overkill depending on what you would like out of your car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned