The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stuck inner tie rod?

stealthtt24

I replaced both ball joints and inner/outer tie rods. I was going to get an alignment done but for whatever reason I cannot get the driver side inner tie rod off. Im using the tool from Advance and it seems to be just a little bit too big. It was good enough to get the other one off but if I use the impact it just keeps turning. Anyone have any ideas? Its too tight of a space to get a wrench up in there. Car is pretty rusted underneath and I would assume that has something to do with it. Thanks!

bmxkid415

Use a pry bar to push down on the tie rod into the knuckle. Will keep the joint itself from spinning. If you don't have an impact, soak the bolt in penetration oil. May need a larger pry bar and a helping hand. Then after the nut is off give the knuckle a few hits to brake the tie rod free. Will pop right out.

Seems to also be the case with the C and K series GM trucks. They never want to come off easy

stealthtt24

You are talking about the inner tie rod correct? The outers were no problem.

bmxkid415

Brain fart on my part, I was talking about the outers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

If the tool doesn't work, You can try to turn the wheel thus moving the placement of the tie rod. Might be able to grab it with a wrench or a pair of channel locks to break it free. If it wasn't pouring here I would run out and see how much room you have to play with.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts