The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Axle removal

I tried searching but nothing answered my question so here goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm removing my engine/trans together (front wheel drive so just one long shaft on the left side), I know I have to remove the axles. I was reading on Vfaq about this and was wondering if I can just unbolt the two bolts holding the strut to the hub, let it all hang down and pop the knuckle joint out of the cup on the trans. I know I will have to undo the protective boots first. I've done this before by acedent on the pasengers' (short drive shaft) when I was changing the struts as the inboard protective boot is stuffed (I'm going to replace it).

Hope my question's clear

Justin

14u2nV

You should be able to get it out like that. You don't have to remove the boots, with the strut unhooked, you should have enough room. For a little more, you can unbolt the steering.

mikus

It'd be sufficient on an AWD for sure, can't say 100% on FWD as I've never seen the axle setup. On AWD you can leave teh boots too, just be careful, and cautious as well about how those loose hubs are supported. I put jackstands right under the rotor 'lip'.

stealthtt24

I'm kinda confused as to your question. Just take off the axle nut sticking out of the hub then unbolt the strut like you said. Then wiggle the axle out of the hub and use a crowbar to get the shaft out of the tranny if its being difficult.

Thanks for the responses guys

Quote:
I'm kinda confused as to your question. Just take off the axle nut sticking out of the hub then unbolt the strut like you said. Then wiggle the axle out of the hub and use a crowbar to get the shaft out of the tranny if its being difficult.

Stealth, sorry for sounding like a noob. I've found it imposible to losen the hub castle nut with my tools on hand, I don't want to go out and buy a 1/2" power bar right now as I've just bought some other tools so was wondering if it could be done this way. I know it sounds like a noob question but I've never taken a motor out of anything other than a rear wheel drive and want to be sure of what I'm doing.

mikus

^ you shouldn't have to take the axle nut off at all (again on AWD) if you're keeping the axle. Go to VFAQ, drivetrain, 1g clutch and it's probably halfway through. The axle spindle stays on the hub, the hub pivots out when the strut is unbolted, and you have enough wiggle room (barely!) to work the axle out of the trans and fully into the well. wait, here's the pic.
clutch-15.jpg

Thanks Mikus!

The only diference with the Fwd is the left hand side, instead of the drive-shaft being in two short parts it's just one long one from the hub to the trans.

Thanks for the fast responses, they realy help!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned