The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Things to have done at the machine shop?

birdman24

I'm back again with more questions. I'm rebuilding my motor and I'm wondering what all I need or should have done at the machine shop?
This is my first time rebuilding an engine so please bear with me.

birdman24

Anyone?

I already know that the block needs to be bored and honed .20 over because i bought .20 over pistons, I'm gonna run arp head studs and that's about it. I'm not having the head ported or anything like that. So I just want to know if their is anything that I'm forgetting or just plain don't know about?

Any input or help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Terence

AnotherNewb

It really depends on your skill level and goals. If it was me:
Have the block bored, honed, and decked
Have your machinist install your pistons onto your rods and fit your pistons to the cylinders.
have your crank polished.

Me personally, I would rather allow my machinist to assemblethe bottm end that way he can properly set piston end ring gap and verify that the crank journel to bearing fit is proper. Its not hard to do this on yourown but chances are your machinist has more experiance at it.

check the deck of the block for warpage. get a straight edge and use a feeler gauge to check it because you may want machine the deck but keep it in mind that if you take .010 off then you will need a .010 thicker gasket to keep the same compression.

AnotherNewb

Your correct... sort of. If the op is going with a composit gasket then having it decked probably isn't necessary if its within tolerance. If a mls gasket is what is going to be used then it is best to have both the head and block decked allowing for the best seal.

Since I brought up the head... at least disassemble it have it tanked, lap the valves and install new valve seals.

You are very right about doing the head as well. I don't know why I didn't mention it. Thanks.

birdman24

Ok thank you for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be getting the block bored, honed, decked, and the head will just get decked.

Is there a special honing process since I'm installing headstuds?

Thank you,
Terence

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned