The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

it's been awhile since I had a DSM moment with 1051

turbowop

Since I haven't raced the thing since '05, I haven't really had to turn a wrench on this heap. It's been nice just being able to drive it around town and to meets to have some fun. I've had it out around the block a couple times this spring, but finally took it a ways out to my parents place for dinner last night...

On the way home I had my brother with me and he wanted me to let it rip a bit. It's funny to see him in that car sitting in a little Sparco Evo since he's 6'6" and like 260lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif . I got on it and the thing started misfiring, so I let off. Then one of the belts starts squeaking. About four miles from home, I smell rubber burning. "That belt ain't happy." Then all of a sudden all the warning lights on the dash light up and I lose power steering. Fawk. It was a race against time to get home before the engine got too hot since the water pump runs off that belt as well. I just made it, with some coolant coming out of the overflow as I pulled into the garage. According to the datalogger temps never went above 223. Left it there, and took 503 out to the local bar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beer.gif

I figured the alternator seized or something. Nope. Turns out, the alternator bracket just came loose. The tensioning bolt and the bolt that holds it tight as well. WTF sabotage? New belt and a little coolant and she's good to go. Pulls clean through the gears and no issues. Guess I'll start packing extra belts with my tool kit on long road trips. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BTW, I also figured out today that my floor jack will no longer fit under the bumper due to the lip. Dangit. Gonna have to purchase a low profile one or something I guess.

Cool story, bro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

In my parents driveway. I thought it looked cool so I snapped a pic with my BlackBerry...

Last edited:

bazeng

The goodluck doesn't last forever does it?

I broke my tailshaft after 2 meets. Back to the drawing board!

You car looks great btw!

Good thing it was nothing serious. Funny it was the alternator giving you problems cause something similar happened to me just a few weeks ago. I mean, I didn't lose power and get warning lights but my belt was squeeking on start up a bit. I was like whatever I'll tighten it later.

A couple days later I head over to PCW to get some "life changing" bad ass v bands welded onto my dp/cat/cat-back. While the car was up on the rack we noticed I had an oil leak from somewhere. I was like, fawk, because I had just done the oil pan gasket like 12 months ago and not driven the car more than a couple hundred miles since its makeover. So I get the car home and begin tearing it apart to find the leak. Sure as sh*t it was the oil pan gasket. I didn't listen to those of you who said to NOT use a paper gasket and to just use sealant. Doh.

Anyways, while I was under there I noticed a bunch of rubber on my oil filter housing to cooler hoses. WTF. I remember a belt was complaining and so I look up and sure as sh*t my alternator pivot bolt is backed out a bit, the nut missing and a part of the belt worn down. Ohhaitoyoupotentialnightmare. Good thing the bolt stopped and didn't keep backing out. I went over the entire engine bay and have put blue loctite on almost everything possible, even alternator bolts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ten fifty one looks good, as usual.

bazeng

That reminds me.

3 nights ago after the AMG was tuned, driving back home it was loosing power (voltage).
Luckily we were close to a friends shop so we pulled in and found a melted / corroded alternator +ve wire. The battery only had 8v's & .5 ohms resistance across the cable so I re-terminated the cable and it was fine afterwards.

Lonewolf64

And here I was thinking this thread would be about a harmonic balance pulley coming apart.

Chad989of2000

pssshhhh....1051 isn't all that desirable anymore. Not.

raptorWagon

It is officially dirty under the hood now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

You must not know me very well yet, Tim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif First thing I did before the new belt went on is clean everything. I leavez it more spotless than it started. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rausch

I am not amused by 1051 reliability shortcomings......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

mr.mitsu

Save your money on the jack.
Just use an OEM scissor jack THEN your floor jack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dmj

While installing my Jdm bumper this morning I remembered this post so I checked my alternator bolt, Guess what it was backed out almost all the way only about 2 threads into the nut WTF.

alansupra94

Quoting mr.mitsu:
Just use an OEM scissor jack THEN your floor jack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And here I thought I was the only person that did this.

dewman

When a buddy of mine used to own an FD,we would have to do the same exact thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

raptorWagon

Quoting alansupra94:
Quoting mr.mitsu:

And here I thought I was the only person that did this.

Whenever I got a flat in the vr4, I had to use the scissor jack to start off.

atc250r

Staff member
A couple of 2x8's stacked up might get you that little bit of lift you need if you drive up on them before using the jack. Much cheaper than a new jack. Once I stopped whipping my old GVR4 at the track it stopped breaking and I put a bunch of trouble free miles on it.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts