The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of fmic setup are you running?

I'm thinking about replacing all the crappy stock piping for some hard piping that wont have as many boost leaks and I'm wondering what kinda setup everybody is running. I've noticed a trend of relocating the battery and running the intake to that spot which I think I like. I've read plenty of good things about running ebay cores and that's what I plan on doing again, but I'm unsure about the piping.

Brunoboy

I have a kit made by JonVr4 that used to be on the boards, its three pieces, and uses a Evo VIII/IX fmic, i maybe selling it soon though and it does have the necessary couplers with it.
-Shane

Chad989of2000

...yeah. You'll see a lot of custom jobs on here as far as fmic setups go. The ETS kit is great and basically plug and play (save for some bumper cutting). The cost is a little steep, but it's well worth the price in terms of function.

524of1000

I have a Treadstone IC with custom pipes. It fits pretty well I think...

thedsmguy

Ok, well sorry about the gruffness. I'm using a punishment racing 1g fmic core, it fits just right with a little massage on the sides of the ac condenser. But your forced to run a smaller radiator then, I used a Audi 100 core and it seems to work fine being a double pass radiator.

Good luck.

When I search “fmic” these are all the thread titles that show up on the first couple pages:

<b>What kind of fmic setup are you running?</b> (this thread)
<b>Proud new owner of 555/1000</b> (doesn’t sound like what I’m looking for)
<b>Money pit... </b> (again, not really fmic specific)
<b>Bumper Support Bent. Can the Center Be Removed?</b> (nope, nothing in this one)
<b>aftermarket fog lights</b> (fog lights are nice, but not when I’m searching about fmics)
<b>Bring 1342/2000 back to life</b> (yay for saving a gvr4, but boo for another thread that doesn’t help me)
<b>After a long long time a special GVR4 is out and about. </b> (cool)
<b>Project Log: #594 - 600-650 awhp or BUST!!! </b> (cool thread but again, doesn’t really apply to my search)
<b>Kicking tires again...</b> (still searching for this fmic thread you speak of…)
<b>Sharobious' #103 resto/build </b> (…)
<b>1870/200 resurgence, I.. Live... AGAIN!!1! soon. </b> (…)
<b>1635/2000 Build up thread! </b> (this search thing isn’t producing the results I was hoping for)
<b>Found a GVR4 on autotrader </b> (it’s at this point that I started contemplating creating this thread)
<b>Am I Crazy? STI TMIC as FMIC? (</b> yahoo! A fmic related thread! …still not what I’m looking for though)
PAGE 2 of searching “fmic”
<b>How expensive is your VR4? </b> (nope, nothing in here)
<b>my vr-4. The pikes peak one. story and build </b> (yet another build thread)
<b>Winter mods- What are you up too?</b> (blizzaks and mudflaps)
<b>I'm at a crossroad now. gm maf or SD </b> (still searching…)
<b>Does the JDM Fmic bolt on without cutting? </b> (you’d think this might have something, but nope…)
<b>Project Thread: 46/1000 - UPDATED 4/8/11 Putting It Together </b> (cool project thread)
New battery location (I like this thread, but it doesn’t help my fmic decision)

At this point I thought it’d be appropriate to create a thread…

Do any of you guys are pictures of different setups? I know with dsms there a "long" and "short" route of piping. Are there different paths to take on the gvr4 that you guys have come up with? Thanks,
-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

When you use the search on this forum put a + before each word. Like this:

+intercooler +ets

Here:

click

click

Some people swear by the ets IC kit, some people make their own or hire a shop to make it custom.

2of9

I had a shop do my IC pipings. The intercooler itself was given free to me by an old friend which was pretty cool of him to do.

DSC_0775.jpg

gvr4_11.jpg

KiNgMaRtY

On 802 I'm running an ETS Core with Hot piping and Brodie cold pipes. I had a full Brodie FMIC on 611

BrandonEchols

Quoting 3of1000:
When you use the search on this forum put a + before each word. Like this:

+intercooler +ets

we really should sticky how to use the search...seems to confuse a lot of people.
Basically, you use the + sign in front of things you want to include, and the - sign in front of things you want to exclude.

so for this, I would search something like "+intercooler -re:"

substitute in "FMIC" or whatever search term you want, I use the "-re:" tag to remove replies from the results, I can read them in the thread, but this way it doesn't show each one as a search result.

Chad989of2000

This is my setup in 141...ETS.

Diego

Custom from AMS in Chicago..... I'm not sure there is many like mine.... period. I'll get pics when I get off

I have always used an ebay 24x12x3 intercooler on my cars (three GVR4s and one Talon). For the piping I had always gone to a local tunershop to get the piping, however, this time around I made the piping myself.

Thanks for the info on how to search. My bad, this forum is a little different than others I've been on.

Also, there's that big metal bumper beam or w/e right up in the front bumper. Do you guys just mount the intercooler behind that or what?

Thanks,
-Brian

You will need to cut the actual metal support behind the urethane bumper. I think people usually use a plasma cutter, a rotary grinder or maybe a sawzall. I woul dsuggest leaving a strip of metal across the top part of the support if you can so that the top of the urethane bumper doesn't sag. Youre gonna need to cut and test fit, cut and test fit.

Here is another fmic thread, I actually found this by searching on google:

click

I'm pretty sure I have pics of the beam you need to cut and what needs to be cut out of it but I can't find them at the moment.

Hey cool, thanks for that link. I'm surprised at how many people are rocking the ETS fmic considering it costs about an arm and a leg.

Tre3zy

ETS is pricy i got lucky getting mine for $325 with an HKS BOV but thats just because my homie upgraded to a bigger one.... the ETS is a nice peace and its worth every penny

I don't doubt the ets is a great piece, I just don't think my goals require something that nice. I know a lot of the dsm guys run cheap ebay cores and have no problems with those. I'm a little surprised that the ebay cores aren't as popular on here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts