The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Pre Season Auto-x projects

vr4play

So as always I waited until the last minute to start working on the car for the upcoming Auto-x season. First thing I tried to get the car out of the shed and got stuck in the mud.

After destroying the lawn I had to go get the truck and pull her out. I finally got to work and got some parts installed that I have been holding onto for about 2 years. Active toe elimination kit and rear subframe bushings.

Had a day full of fun, but hopefully it will pay off. I still have to do the new crankcase vent and catch can. More pix to come

Last edited:

looks good man how hard was it to do the elimination i am planing on doing this soon also. hope to see more pics keep up the good work

vr4play

Got the valve cover ready to be dropped off back to the powdercoaters. Trying to figure out where I want to mount the new catch can. The active toe kit was simple. Take the trailing arms off. Remove the old bushings, remove old paint and prep surface. The steel bushing had to be hammered in as it was a tight fit. I heated it with a torch to get it good and hot and then welded it to the control arm. I anti-seized the heim joint and nut threaded them all the way in and then back out 5.5 turns. Re-assembled everything and then aligned it.

CutlassJim

Make sure to coat that heim joint with paint or grease or something. If not it will turn into a big pile of rusted poo in short order.

vr4play

So its time for a new auto-x season to start. Last year all I did was replace the rods in the motor after the hose going to the wastegate came off and the boost went to almost 40psi on pump gas and bent one of the old rods. This year I'm working on the fuel system and handling. I got this nifty piece from 034 motorsports. It holds 1 liter of fuel and houses my Bosch 044 pump.

I also decided to rebuild my evo rear diff with the Weir Performance 16 plate Max grip kit. Stock plates on the left new plates on the right.

I also ordered new 17x9.5 wheels with new hoosier 275/35R17 A6 tires. Will have pictures as soon as they show up. I've been working on removing weight so the sunroof is gone and I am working on a carbon sunroof delete panel. That should be done next week. I'm also going to attempt to make my own subframe connectors. Hoping it will be as simple as it looks.

blacksheep

Nice to see someone auto-xing a gvr4 these days...You in SM or XP?

Do share as much as you can esp of the hoosier setup - thats huge for a gvr4 fender well. Also, I am officially jelly of that evo rear diff setup. I had TRE rear diff upgrade on my old Evo and it did some real work.

What suspension setup - looks like Koni's.

Give em hell, brotha!

vr4play

I'm running in XP. There are usually only 1 or 2 other cars in my class locally. My buddy runs an LS swapped FD RX-7 and he is my main competition. I hope the diff works out. I wanted to do the TRE diff but this one was in my budget. Having kids really slows down the parts buying process. I am running KONI's all the way around at the moment. I have a set of 8611 race shocks for the front that I am building custom housings for and I have a friend that works at KONI that is going to build custom rear race shocks as soon as I save up the cash. I want to run more spring cause I still have to much body roll.

Brianawd

Why are you running in XP and not SM?

vr4play

I rescued the car from a field and it was sitting sunk down to the rockers in mud and had about 6" of water floating on the inside. The interior was covered in green nasty slime. I gutted the whole car and don't have the interior anymore. SM requires most of the interior. XM in my region isn't bad. I get to race my buddy and in other regions I get to stomp on some america muscle. I'm just not nationally competitive because of the restriction on my wallet. The guys who win XP nationally have big wallets with all carbon cars with ridiculous horsepower. My car still weighs 2900 lbs and I'm no light weight myself. It does good for what it is as a I can usually get top 10 at an event. It's competitive with cars of its era I just can't always hang with the newer more technological cars.

Brianawd

Quote:
In response to
Poster: vr4play
Subject: Re: Spring Auto-x Upgrades

I rescued the car from a field and it was sitting sunk down to the rockers in mud and had about 6" of water floating on the inside. The interior was covered in green nasty slime. I gutted the whole car and don't have the interior anymore. SM requires most of the interior. XM in my region isn't bad. I get to race my buddy and in other regions I get to stomp on some america muscle. I'm just not nationally competitive because of the restriction on my wallet. The guys who win XP nationally have big wallets with all carbon cars with ridiculous horsepower. My car still weighs 2900 lbs and I'm no light weight myself. It does good for what it is as a I can usually get top 10 at an event. It's competitive with cars of its era I just can't always hang with the newer more technological cars.

In my area you would get killed in XP. Only reason I ask. I run SM in my evo. This year I should take 2nd place behind my friend in his evo. I really wish they has a SM street tire class.

vr4play

They are Rota Grids 17x9.5 with 12mm offset. The wilwoods are custom. I made the brackets and am using re-drilled Ford Crown Victoria rotors and custom hub rings. I'm actually probably going to be selling the rotors, rings and brackets in the future if anyone is interested. I had them under my 16" Kosei K1 wheels that may be for sale also. They only have 5 auto-x's on them and about 200 street miles. I'm running DTC-70 pads. I am going to go to Evo 9 rotors and make another set of brackets now that I have 17" wheels. My calipers are for 1.25" rotors and the Crown Vic rotors are only 1.10" so I have to use and extra set of backing plates once the pads get worn some. You would need caliper part# 120-11132 available from summit for under $160 ea. and are compatible with the thinner rotor.

vr4play

Some pictures of the mean green machine in action. click I got beat by my buddy but my raw time was faster. Driver sucked and couldn't stay off the cones. Other photos are # 520-522, 697-699, and 763-764.

vr4play

Some goodies showed up this week to take more weight off the car.
Carbon Hood

Test piece for sunroof delete. I'm waiting on the epoxy to show up to make the carbon one. The gaps ended up being more than I wanted but whatever.

Manual window regulators

With all of this the car should be in the 2750lbs range. I had the scales under it when I was installing the frame connectors and it was 2835lbs with them on and my heavy street wheels. Hopefully I can find time to do the alignment and corner weights in the next week or so.

blacksheep

On my Evo8, I made a plate out of aluminium for the sunroof delete and riveted it on. Your car is really cool. I sent you a PM, boss!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts