The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Kicking tires again...

I'm stuck over in Afghanistan, meanwhile my GVR4 has been in the good hands of my buddy and he finally has it running and nearly back on the road! I've gone back and forth for (literally) YEARS on what I want to do with this car since I bought it. Initially I wanted to build a fun DD/street car. Then I started planning a RallyX build. Then I decided to sell it. Then I thought I might do a DSP build (see the thread here click ). And here I am now trying to make a decision about what I want to do with the car. I could probably sell it for close to what I have into it (maybe $3-4k since it's basically stock with a build trans/tcase & LSD, I have about $5k into it). I still love the idea of a DSP build, but I already have one race-only car (my Z06). In fact, I just non-op'ed my Z06 so I no longer have a fun street car. I currently daily drive my '11 Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax diesel) and really like driving it, but that leaves me nothing to take for fun runs with friends. Also, if I decide to lift the truck I literally won't be able to park it in my garage at work anymore.

The car is completely stock and original other than having a rebuild trans & tcase, Cusco LSD, a fresh stock-replacement clutch, new front axles, and some misc. newer parts (rebuilt/socketed PCM, misc. sensors, etc). The stock stereo is even there and it works! I also have the original window sticker for the car!

Sooooooo, if I decide to actually build the Galant (finally) I would want to make a very, very drivable street car that is also a lot of fun. So I'm looking for your input. If you could build a Galant VR4 as a DD, what would you do? I would have modest power goals with the focus being on drive-ability reliability (okay, you can start laughing now), and maybe 300 AWHP. I see it as a phased project:

[*]Phase I - Get it running and back on the street!!!![*]Phase II - Electronics/Stereo[*]Phase III - Suspension, Brakes and Chassis[*]Phase IV - Motor/Power[*]Phase V - Body & Paint[/list]

Phase I is nearly complete. The car is back together (finally!!!!!!!!) and running. It is nearly ready for the street, and will be smogged and registered shortly. It needs rotors/pads and a driveshaft rebuild to be truly drivable. All of that will be done shortly, though I'm holding off on the brakes depending on what I decide to do with the car.

Phase II would be nothing fancy. I'm not a big stereo guy, so not much needed here. I still have a faceplate to mount a single DIN head unit and 3 gauges along w/ the full gauge setup in the stock double DIN location. I actually have a nice head unit to use too, and probably all the speakers I need. Again, no need for a crazy system, just something that sounds decent on the daily drive.

After I & II are complete the car would be truly livable and drivable.

Phase III would be a bit more involved. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking I'd want to do:
[*]!ABS & !4WS[*]5-Lug Swap[*]4-Bolt LSD Swap[*]3KGTVR4 Brakes[*]Evo VIII MR Wheels[*]Either coilovers (very few options out there) or nice springs/shocks (also rather limited)[*]Full bushings (the stock rubber is 20 years old now, I'd like to do poly throughout)[*]Sways (I'd like the 'big' Whitelines if I can find 'em)[*]Strut Tower Braces and any other chassis bracing available.[*]Misc (motor mount inserts and the like)[/list]

Phase IV again, I'm thinking about reliability over absolute power. I think a 300AWHP goal is reasonable, but perhaps I'm wrong? I'm thinking:
[*]Fresh headgasket & APR studs[*]Small turbo (maybe Big16G or a small ball bearing turbo)[*]Exhaust mani, wastegate, etc. for said turbo[*]Fuel (injectors, pump, etc) to support said turbo)[*]FMIC I can fit behind the stock front fascia or maybe go water to air[*]Exhaust (as quiet and undercover as possible with a cat as well)[*]Tune/Chip[*]GMAF[*]Maybe cams (would I need cams for 300AWHP?)[/list]

Phase V will be a repaint and repair in the stock color. There is little to no rust on the car, but lots of little door dings and such. I want to try to keep it nearly completely stock appearing (other than brakes, wheels and tires) on the outside if I can.

-TJ

KiNgMaRtY

Good to hear that you will be keeping the car.

* Either coilovers (very few options out there) or nice springs/shocks (also rather limited) * there out there, just need to research and see whats for you and how much you want to spend
* Full bushings (the stock rubber is 20 years old now, I'd like to do poly throughout)- Good choice, it is a PITA if you are doing it yourself

Phase IV again, I'm thinking about reliability over absolute power. I think a 300AWHP goal is reasonable, but perhaps I'm wrong? I'm thinking:

* Fresh headgasket & APR studs - * For 300hp no need to upgrade unless you know the gasket is toast
* Small turbo (maybe Big16G or a small ball bearing turbo) * For 300 AWHP, as far as the turbo, an EvoIII 16g
* Exhaust mani, wastegate, etc. for said turbo- * 2g OEM, EVOIII or FP manifold
* Fuel (injectors, pump, etc) to support said turbo)Wally 255 and FPR +Injectos
* FMIC I can fit behind the stock front fascia or maybe go water to air - * ETS kit
* Exhaust (as quiet and undercover as possible with a cat as well)
* Tune/Chip - * DSMlink
* GMAF
* Maybe cams (would I need cams for 300AWHP?) - * Not really needed for 300hp but will help

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts