The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone with a GVR4 that does not leak oil?

dmj

Of all the engines that I have rebuilt that I have owned only 2 ever leaked oil my 1967 Austin Mini and the Galant. When I rebuilt the engine I noticed that the tolerance was pretty loose and most seals would slide in with finger pressure and not have to be pressed or tapped in, I put silicone rtv on those but this engine seems to leak in the most unlikely places. I am going to pull the engine and trans this week for a total reseal due to various oil leaks.

dmj

You just gave me hope . I am going to take my time to eliminate all leaks using all oem gaskets/ seals. any problem spots that I should pay extra attention to?

boostedinaz

Cleanliness and time are your friend. I've built a few 4Gs and none of them leaked. I made sure everything was VERY clean before assembly and used Mitsu gaskets for everything. I also didn't rush anything that used RTV, like the oil pan, so that it had time to cure.

BluFalcon

No major seeping leaks here, but I have noticed a film of oil around the front of the motor, or on the supports between the front crossmemebr and subframe whenever I do an oil change. It's not major, so i just wipe the affected areas down whenever I'm under the car working.

turbowop

The majority of the seals are on the front of the motor. No need to pull it out of the car, IMO. No worse than doing a timing belt job, really. Cam seals, front crank seal, oil pump sprocket seal, front balance shaft sprocket seal and then the front case and oil filter housing gaskets. Also don't forget the seals within the oil filter housing itself. Other than that, you have the oil pan (and turbo drain) and valve cover and rear main, but unless the rear main is leaking, I wouldn't bother with it.

Last edited:

MitsuDriver274

I have owned two vr4's, none of them leaked any oil, but I did have a problem with the oil pump seal popping out of the oil pump housing after deleting the balance shafts. Anyone have a similar problem?

dmj

I am replacing the trans with a built 1g unit and it can be a pain in the ass to replace the trans laying on the floor I figured it would be easier if I removed both engine and trans at the same time. . I hope I can find a 4 bolt set up asap . this way I can take out all the ps lines to the rear of the car as well. There is seepage in front of the motor at bottom of timing belt cover major leak in rear especially if I am into boost not so much if I am not. .Then there is trans oil that is creeping down the clutch fork from output shaft seal, going to be a fun week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

2of9

owned mine for 4 years, driven all year round. not a speck of oil leak.

citymunky

My have leaks

fuel

I've fitted countless aftermarket oil seals and gaskets to 4G63s and other Mitsubishi engines and haven't had oil leaks. If the oil seal slides in easily then I would say it's a defective seal or not the correct seal. The only oil leaking from my GVR-4 is from the transfer case rear seal, which I will address when I decide to rebuild the driveshaft and replace the hanger bearings.

92GVR4num65

168000 mi (what I believe to be the original engine, no leaks.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1941Galant

#1941 doesn't leak except for the turbo drain, which being a SS line with AN fittings it can't be blamed on mitsu, and #1414 leaks a little from the front crank seal, which will be fixed when I do the timing belt/bs delete.

Last edited:

bazeng

A few minor leaks which will hopefully be resolved.

VR4 -
Oil drain - new seal washers installed
Sump - nuts tightened with new spring washers (moroso sump)

Oil relocation fittings - will have to pull the -10 fittings off and re-torque them. PITA area.

Everything else is bone dry!!!

AMG - zero leaks!

Adorsey

My t-case spits out fluid from where the input shaft goes. Makes a nice black/brown gunk mark on my exhaust.

uncleben4rice

Quoting boostedinaz:
Cleanliness and time are your friend. I've built a few 4Gs and none of them leaked. I made sure everything was VERY clean before assembly and used Mitsu gaskets for everything. I also didn't rush anything that used RTV, like the oil pan, so that it had time to cure.

Right on the money. C-Rad got my galant squeaky clean no leaks...

IncorpoRatedX

no leaks here.

RedTwo

Looks like I've got a slow leak in my capped 4WS line.... and somewhere around the engine is an underground railroad for motor oil.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts