The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leatherique application

JNR

The wife got me some leatherique for Christmas (woohoo) and wanting to put it on soon. However, I was looking at the directions and they stated to put like 4 oz. per seat, by hand and then you let it sit in a warm car for several hours/all day (or you can cover seat and use hairdryer).

So, for those that have used it, have a few silly questions on this.
--First, when they say by hand, do they mean literally you rub it in with your hands? (the other stuff they specifically say using a cloth/sponge, etc.).
--Second, do you really need *that* much per seat? I only have 16 oz. and was hoping to do both the VR4 and the CTS-V (half is suede though)...
--Finally, how warm is warm? Meaning we are having cool weather (60's) and not real sunny; I really would like to put some of this on soon, but am thinking I may need to do the hair dryer technique.

Thanks for any tips or experiences on this. I have been wanting this stuff for years as it sounds like it works awesome and can't wait to try it. Wish I could figure out the secret ingredient though, to get it as a more reasonable cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NickDromez

i just bought some of this stuff for myself. and i was planning on rubbing it on by hand (with gloves of course). and i was planning on applying it generously on all the seats, not nessesarily 4oz. and i was also planning on just waiting till spring or summer even tho i want to use it now haha

JNR

Yeah, I may wait a little while. Funny thing is it is usually warm here, at least some days here and there, but lately...I like it cooler, but figures. I may try the hairdryer method, as I want good results. Thinking the 'warmness' must make it more pliable and allow it to penetrate better and consistently; who knows.

I tried a little piece, just cause it's a toy on christmas, ha ha, and a little bit goes a long way, so 4 oz. maybe is for the entire seat, front and back and a really 'thick' layer. I can see why they say with the hands and gloves are a good idea! Also, they suggest a spray bottle and I think I'm gonna do that, 'cause otherwise seems like it could spill or be wasted easy and this stuff is like gold ($), lol.

Hmmm, so wonder if it's a bad idea to follow this up (down the road) with some lexol and such. Have a couple bottles of that and it works good, but bet nothing like this will. Can't wait!

curtis

I've used it and other brands. I usually just use a can of tuff stuff upholstery cleaner and spray the seats down and scrub them clean changing towels till the towel is clean. Then get rubber gloves and the leather conditioner and spread it on with a wax applicator pad. The ones with terry cloth over it. I leave it looking like there covered in lotion. Then set in the sun . Since its winter try an electric heater in the car for a short period of time then unplug it leaving the car doors closed. Then tomorrow rub off the excess and your done.

JNR

Cool, thanks. I did a test area and just a little bit and not ideal conditions and that alone is pretty nice, so really can't wait to see the end result. I was thinking about the amount too and bet a lot depends on the age and condition of seats, as far as how much. Even though the leather in the VR-4 is in decent shape, I haven't done much to it lately and so that is where most of it will go. I tried the 'test' in the CTS on a small portion and a little went a long way there but it's not really *that* old, either...pleased so far. I've been wanting this stuff for many years now and it's nice to finally put it to the test. I'd like to hear other methods/products, too and especially "home made" recipes, heh. Otherwise, can get quite pricey (adds up)...

I like the heater idea and bet along with plastic it probably would work really good to saturate it and sounds like this stuff/leather is heat activated, so to speak. Not to mention, I need to dry out the interior anyway, thanks to those door speakers and slow drains on the doors, lol.

Last edited:

fuel

there are a couple videos on youtube explaining how to apply the stuff. I would probably wait for a warm day.

JNR

Hmmm, didn't think about youtube (I only go there when somebody posts something generally) and that may not be a bad idea. Yeah, before I know it, it'll be 90 degrees again, lol. Thanks for the tip.

Gabor

I did this in the middle of summer. 4oz per seat is a lot. You'll see how much is needed as you start applying it but if your seats are totally dried out it'll soak it all up.
I rubbed it on by hand, giving my seats a nice oily massage.
Used trash bags to cover them up for a couple of days and then buffed it out with a clean cotton rag.
The top of my back seats were hard as a rock and after the Leatherique application they become nice and soft. Not as new soft but a lot softer than it was before.
Whatever was left in the bottle I used it like 5-6 times to give my seats a new shine. After the first application a little goes a long way.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned