The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sourcing a Evo 1-3 transmission

MitsuDriver274

The transmission in my car is starting to go out, looks like it's time to rebuild or replace. In my old rally car I had a evo 1 rs transmisison that I fell in love with. I would go with the original supplier, but that was a customers car, no joke, a customers galant gsx came in with a bad transmission, some shop accidentally installed a evolution gearbox, wrong rear diff, we all know how that goes.

All in all I know it's spendy, and I know where to source the rear pinion and will have to upgrade to a auto 4 bolt rear, but I can't seem to find anyone that is a dependable importer.

brisvr4

Aren't the auto diff ratio's 3.307 though? How is that going to match a 3.909 RS box?

fuel

he says he's going to source the rear pinion (and assume crownwheel too), which will go into an auto 4 bolt housing.

brisvr4

Ahhhh, I read it too fast!

cheekychimp

Mmmmm I would still look a little more closely into that!

I don't have the figures on hand, I think I might have them at work but I believe the EVO I and EVO II use the same transfer case ratio as the GVR4 RS but the EVO III requires a specific transfer case ratio to match the rear diff to 3.909. If you go that route with an EVO III gearbox you will need the EVO III specific transfer case which might be a bitch to replace if anything goes wrong.

A much better option (in my opinion) is to get an RS GVR4 transmission and an EVO III gearset (i.e 1st through 5th) and swap those in. That way you can retain the same transfer case as your stock VR4 which should be a lot easier to replace.

Edit: I haven't found my gearbox ratios thread yet from the Lancer Register but I did find this in another thread.

Quote:
You are misinformed.

You can interchange the transfer boxes from 1's and 2's, but you must run an EVO 3 transfer box with an EVO 3 gearbox.

The output shaft spins at a different rate to the earlier evo boxes.

Last edited:

MitsuDriver274

I did not know that about the Evo III boxes, from the ratio's we got out of the transmission I believe it was a Evo I box, if my memory serves me correct.

Does no one know of a good source though?

RedTwo

Depends if you feel like paying more in shipping than you do for the gearbox! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting MitsuDriver274:

I think any transmission shop could get you the ratios you want, you really only need the RS GVR4 secondary and the 3.909 reap pinion and crown wheel. EVO III gears are almost identical to the EVO 1 & 2 (1st and 2nd ratios might be marginally different but 3rd through 5th I believe are identical) and almost all Transmission places stock EVO III gearsets as an option.

I think it would be far better to get a fresh box built locally than source a 10 to 15 year old transmission of unknown service. I know you are asking for a reliable importer but you can't really expect an importer to guarantee a 15+ year old part. If you are prepared to spend a bit of cash, just get a good USDM core and find a transmission shop who can source the above parts and have them do a standard rebuild. Unless you are looking for power in excess of that which an EVO III 16G puts out, it should hold up just fine.

Paul.

Galantvr41062

You can buy the Evo 1, 3/4 and 5th from Jacks Transmissions, the 2nd gear is the same ratio in all the AWD M/T.
Tranny parts:
click

Tranny ID codes:
click

Gear ratios:
click

MitsuDriver274

I plan on rebuilding the box myself, my father and I have rebuilt all of our boxes, and all have shifted like butter... I did not know I was able to get individual gears, that makes things a bit easier as I can use my current box and replace individual gears.... err so I read a little more, these gear sets only work with 2g boxes?

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting cheekychimp:
Quoting MitsuDriver274:

I think any transmission shop could get you the ratios you want, you really only need the RS GVR4 secondary and the 3.909 reap pinion and crown wheel. EVO III gears are almost identical to the EVO 1 & 2 (1st and 2nd ratios might be marginally different but 3rd through 5th I believe are identical) and almost all Transmission places stock EVO III gearsets as an option.

I think it would be far better to get a fresh box built locally than source a 10 to 15 year old transmission of unknown service. I know you are asking for a reliable importer but you can't really expect an importer to guarantee a 15+ year old part. If you are prepared to spend a bit of cash, just get a good USDM core and find a transmission shop who can source the above parts and have them do a standard rebuild. Unless you are looking for power in excess of that which an EVO III 16G puts out, it should hold up just fine.

Paul.

Not all "RS" boxes are 3.909 ratio.

Evo III has a different front diff ratio to Evo I/II so the transfer case is geared differently so it can match the 3.909 rear end.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts