The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

friday road trip

14u2nV

Heading to knob noster, MO around 3pm tomorrow to pick up the transplantee for my galant. If all goes well, I will have a running car again within two weeks. I'm pretty excited. Donor is a 90 tsi/fwd, that comes with a spare engine, both are supposed to be running condition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll post some pix when I get it.

14u2nV

Home. 6hrs and $750 later, I have these:

Car runs great, burns some oil though. Spare engine looks good. Tranny is either shot or has the wrong cables, won't find first or second. Pulls hard though, and holds idle perfect. Now time to start the transplant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Not bad for $750, if you can't get 1st or 2nd it's a different year tranny. I had a tranny like that for one of my older Talons and had to drill a hole in the shift lever with a different rod for everything to line up.

14u2nV

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Car is a 90, so I was leaning that way. Didn't seem like it was going far enough to go into gear. Gonna tear into it tomorrow and see what I can fix. After I pull what I need, I'm gonna sell the shell (clean title).

Did all 90's have the cooler ports on the oil filter housing or just awd? The spare engine has them, haven't looked at the one in the car yet.

As far as I know all 90's had the factory oil cooler on them. If you wanted you could even fix the shifter problem and sell it for a profit.

14u2nV

I plan on selling the tranny if it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

14u2nV

Well, shifting problem is somewhat solved. First still won't go in, just grinds. Car still has a 90 tranny/brackets and cables, but had a 91+shifter with base. Put a 90 shifter back in, now all gears are good but first. They probably ruined it trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. Oh well, that's an easy rebuild.

14u2nV

Any ideas on what the talon is worth? It's a 90/fwd/turbo, no engine or trans, interior is pretty rough, see pix for condition of body. Seems like a pretty solid car. I want to get rid of it now that I got what I want, but don't know what they go for. Last resort will be scrapyard, but I'm gonna hit craigslist first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

let me know what your thinking price wise for the tranny, ive been hunting a 90 trans for the mirage.

thanks
Jesse

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned