The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ralli380Gvr4 build status. No longer J$B...

Ralli380Gvr4

I recently went home for Thanksgiving and was able to fire 380 up after a long 2 1/2+ year hibernation. It felt nice. Now the light is finally at the end of the tunnel, we are no longer in the tear down/build stages and now approaching completion. My good friend Mr. Caroll and his shop have been helping me out in huge way with this build. Between his welding, mechanical skills, tools, workspace and storage. He has been a god send and non of this would have ever been possible. Also special thanks to the board for invaluable help, marketplace, great community and members (local and far).

To make a long story short....This was supposed to be a simple custom downpipe build and Evo suspension conversion but due to the ORG's JSB curse, and other "reasons" it snowballed for better or worse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Between him having his pinky amputated, building the highest horsepower (~900whp) "full weight" E85 Evo 8 in NM, moving 380 from his brothers garage into a new shop, Parting his EVO, other custom builds at his shop, daily transmission shop operation and Myself moving to NYC. We have been making baby steps for what seems like ages.

There are still some work and finishing touches to be done but I wanted to share my progress.

No more Jackstands!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Previous mod list:
660cc injectors
Keydiver Stage 3 chip
AFCII
2g MAF & plug
2g throttle body elbow
Hard intercooler piping
Front mount - unidentified, looks like something from MMC
B16g (ported and clipped)
Curtisco COP setup
Turbo xs dual stage boost controller
balance shafts removed
Greddy EGT
Defi Heads up display (rpm, speed in khs, clock and shift lights)
HKS type-O turbo timer

removed:
ported 2g manifold
ported 1g O2 housing
2.5" turbo back
INJEN intake pipe
3000gt airbox & K&N flat panel
A piller pod & Autometer guages (boost, fuel press., A/F)

380 made 248whp/261trq on 9psi on my previous set-up, I have a dual stage boost controller and wasn't able to get a good run on 14psi due to a boost leak at the throttle body. I remedied it soon after but never dynoed it on 14psi. Pulled strong...

Curent mods added:
272/272 Crower Cams
MLS MMC head gasket
3g lifters
ARP head studs
Evo III ported Manifold & O2 Housing
Custom Carrol 3" intake pipe
Custom Carrol 3" downpipe and Race Ready electric cut-out
USDM stock cat back
K&N cone filter
Dejon garage 1g BOV stop-leak kit
1g 90' oil filter housing
Evo VIII custom oil cooler set-up
Evo MR Bilstein suspension conversion
Tein front camber plates
Espilar Evo springs
3000gt VR-4 4 pot front calipers
5-lug conversion
Goodriche SS brake lines
vented 3000gt vr-4 2g 12.3" front rotors
DSM rear 5 lug rotors
CV inner boots
pads fr & rr
Prothane pro poly. full 1g bushing kit
Whiteline rear 26mm adj. rear swaybar
DSM 4-bolt B23 LSD rear end conversion (retained 4WS)
BOOSTX x Tunersnation rr subframe & mustache bushings
Powder coated white Evo VIII Enkeis
BFgoodrich KDW sports 245/45/17
H&R 5mm rear spacers
Defi Link II controller
Defi 60mm imperial amber boost guage
Defi Link diplay (Oil press., Fuel press., Water temp., speed and rpm)
AEM wideband gauge
Carbon fiber speaker pod
MOMO HUB and steering wheel
Manual seatbelt conversion
89' underdash and glvebox conversion
Passenger underseat storage
Super Vr-4 Head rests
Turboflanagan embroidered Floor mats
Curtisco short shifter
Greddy counnter weight shift knob
1g shift boot
removed fog lights/brackets

Yet to be added:
Lebonte Methonal kit
Cusco fr & rr strut bars
Boostx front bumper lip
JDM keyless fuel door
93' TSX HID projector conversion
custom AMGino headlight "eyelids"
AVS vent shades

Some pictures and youtube teaser.
CLICK
I wanted to hear what is sounded like with the open electric cut-out (impatiently w/o the MAF hooked up and barely idling)

current:

Summer 10':

Circa 06'-07' in her glory days. Street, camping and snowboard trim:

Cicra 06' when I bought "Betsy":

My goal is to have a reliable OEM+ road trip warrior for NM and CO highways. I plan on doing some Auto-X track days at Sandia Motor Speed Way and Sandia peak Touge runs when shes done for next summer and fall. I will be returning to Albuquerque in 3 weeks and hopefully have her buttoned up.

Let me know what you guys think of the evolution of 380.

381gvr4

Ewwwww!!!! I love the white Evo8's! Ive been tempted to do my Evo9's white. 380 looks awesome!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Nicely done, congrats & +2 on the white Evo wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralli380Gvr4

Thanks guys, yeah I was really happy with the color matched Enkei's. I like that they keep with the OEM style and look. I might have to massage the front fenders to get a perfect fit w/ the 245's. We pulled some negative camber w/ the Teins and added the 5mm spacers in the rear, which isn't pictured but it made a world of difference.

ktmrider

Glad to see her off JSB status E!

Also funny to see so many of her parts on #86 now, betting the off-road shot was right before/after the DP crease LOL.

You coming back to ABQ for X-mas or New Year's?

Ralli380Gvr4

haha yep that's the camping pic where I got a little too much air on the dirt roads in the Jemez.

I thought I was Tommi Mackinen circa 99' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Well worth it....

Hey Mike you wouldn't still happen to have the factory catalytic converter would ya'?

I'm gonna be home in 3 weeks for 2 weeks, don't sell "Boomerang" so we can go on a cruise. Also I' m gonna try and that grille from you. You gonna be back from the motherland?

ktmrider

Yep, I'm back on 12/18 and staying at least thru Jan 7th.

Still have Boomerang and the grill, definitely need to meet up!

Ralli380Gvr4

sounds like a plan.

Ralli380Gvr4

A few updated pic's of 380 and what's to come

Big shout out to KTMrider aka Mike for helping me source a 4-bolt LSD while I was in town, the new diff is back in still reatining the 4WS. More pics to come as it's comes closer to the Move to CO.

Last edited:

Ralli380Gvr4

Thank you for the kind words. I just ordered some H&R 5mm rear spacers and open ended mag style lug nuts to go with the extended wheel studs, but I can't wait to paint the window moldings, get the front lip mounted and a long list of exterior enhancements... but getting her road ready is priority #1. She will soon look proper....

Last edited:

ktmrider

Anytime E, worked out great on both sides as Rabbi was having a time with those boogered case threads.

Hope your next visit to Burque is under better terms and we have time to meet up. Shant has #86 running around again after a long JSB stint. #464 is just about perfect for the time being, had to divert $$$ recently to home and family issues so 18psi and great handling are the norm for awhile.

Hope the CO thing comes to bear, puts you closer to NM and a great group in and around Denver.

bobdole

Nice clean car. Love the exhaust system.

Ralli380Gvr4

Mike- NIce to know your still in the GVR-4 game Mike, man I can't tell you how lucky that was to snag that rear diff. Your a life saver...I hope the XT is still running nice, such a badass family car for NM.

Bobdole - Thanks man, I seriously cannot say enough good things about CMPE. Going from their old vintage 2.5" turbo back to purchasing the new system, they clocked the downpipe flange for the EVO III o2 housing, welded in the wideband bung in the proper spot and not mention how well the craftsmanship is, the welds are flawless.

p.s. You don't know how much your car has been an inspiration to step up my game with restomodding the galant. Every time I read your build thread I'm speechless and cannot even post. all I can say is static TE37V's game over haha.

Ralli380Gvr4

Hopefully Boulder or Denver, I will find out around June/July and then hopefully making the big move around September. I know a big chunk of them are out there, it will be fun to cruise with some GVR-4's.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:
Mike- NIce to know your still in the GVR-4 game Mike, man I can't tell you how lucky that was to snag that rear diff. Your a life saver...I hope the XT is still running nice, such a badass family car for NM.

My pleasure! XT is running like a champ, replaced the fuel pump a few months back and solved the few remaining issues.

Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:
Going from their old vintage 2.5" turbo back to purchasing the new system

That exhaust is now on #464 believe it or not! I wanted a 2.5", owner of #86 ( where it was still mounted ) wanted 3". Viola, ordered a new 3" CMPE and moved the "vintage" 2.5" over. I did replace the DP awhile back, no more evidence of Sandia Peak backroads anymore.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

That's awesome, glad it's still in the family. I love the way it sounds. Not to loud.

Ralli380Gvr4

Man, my pictures are all broke....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned