The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Went in for a small exhaust repair and came out all new.

Terry Posten

A few years ago Chris Beran built my down pipe but we attached it to the old crappy mid-pipe and tail section. Well, over the last year or so, I have been cleaning up the little things. So it was time to take care of the exhaust.

The old system was causing a lot of strain on the flex, was hitting my new front sway bar, and hung really low under the diff.

I took it in to a friends garage to have it tweaked to allow for a better fit and he did not want to mess with the crappy old system.

He cut the old system right behind the down-pipe flange and started over. The only thing he reused was the long, straight mid section and the muffler.

It now has a custom rear bendy bit and a flashy new tip. He also replaced all the old hangers and even installed two new rubber hangers to give it that little bit of extra support to keep it from hitting the carrier bearings, front sway bar, and rear diff. He only has a "crush" bender but it is still better than anything it has ever had on the car.

And the best part was he only charged me $75. So I took him and his employee out for lunch afterward.

I failed to get a before pic but it was hanging very low under the diff. Here is what I did take:

Last edited:

broxma

I'm thinking about doing this when I get my QTP cutout installed. I miss the old 18" Cherry Bomb I had on my 95 GSX. My current exhaust basically sits about like you described your old system. Way to low, hung under the diff, bangs on everything. Now the question is does the Cherry Bomb come with a weldable aluminum outer case?

Yeah that's right I said Cherry Bomb!

/brox

381gvr4

ZOMG, you didnt blur your plate!! Im boarding my plane now! Next stop, your garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Seriously though, $75!?!?! Crush bent or not, it was a great deal!!! My opinion is crush bent is a loss of single digit hp #'s is nothing to cry over!!! I

yea man that looks very good. do you notice any differece in performance/quietness?

SouthCaliVR4

Wow, I thought mine was tucked up tight but damn, they really stuffed it up there. Looks good & can't beat the price.

curtis

Wow thats tucked up there and for the price can't beat it. its 3 inch isn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

It was leaking at the down pipe to mid pipe flange and that was causing a kind of spitting noise and of course it was hitting the front sway bar so it is MUCH better.

The longer tail pipe helps with interior noise as well.

Now I have to finally do something with the drive shaft. My carriers are shot (rear is worse than the front) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

curtis

Sean its going to his head........ quit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Quoting curtis:
Wow thats tucked up there and for the price can't beat it. its 3 inch isn't it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, that is 3".

You are just jealous Curtis, get out in that garage and get your ride running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Struc

Quoting Terry Posten:
Now I have to finally do something with the drive shaft. My carriers are shot (rear is worse than the front) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

$350+ and about 6 hours of time later, I just rebuilt mine. It is NOT a small job, but there is nothing really difficult about it. Just tedious. Somewhere on another thread, I posted up all the part numbers, if you want to go searching. I also bought a set of the billet carrier bearing bushings from Garfield and installed them as well.

joemoto

Terry,
How is the exhaust tone with the 3inch ? I have very bad drone with mine, it had only a 4.8x7.8x12” Borla muffler when I got it and have added a round 5”x14” Magnaflow at the Cat location and it is still bad.
I have since heard that a 20" Cherry bomb at the Cat location is effective at reducing the drone factor.
Also that is a very nice looking system at a killer price, it cost me 170 for the Magnaflow muff and install.
-Joe

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned