The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Winshield Wipers

I dont want my windshield wipers going all the time and on setting one they dont stop. is there anyway to fix this? And what is up with the auto setting on the wipers??

Barnes

So what you are trying to say is the delay setting on you wipers doesn't work?

Yeah the delay does not work it just keeps going. Where can i get ahold of a switch to fix the problem?

cspetros

Hmmm. I was under the impression that the ETACS control module handled the delay action of the wipers.

cheekychimp

I don't wish to be a dick, but isn't there a rotary switch on the stalk that varies the delay? I believe if you set that to the shortest delay then even on setting one they move constantly. Are you saying that is not the case, regardless of where you have that rotary switch set?

Last edited:

fuel

on mine the top 1/8-1/4 of the rotary switch movement makes the wipers go at all times - I think the resister inside must burn out or something.

Diego

Our wipers have IIRC 8? Momentary switches for 3 different settings, so that gives you 24 different wiper settings. Does the momentary not work? Check the relay like Wop said if problem persist.

RayH

Note that the wiper interval is relative to the speed of the car at the time you set it and the interval either decreases or increases as you speed up or slow down. If you're setting the interval while the car is stopped then once the car goes above a certain speed they'll pretty much stay on all the time. Best to set the interval while you're travelling at the speed you expect to be traveling at for a while.

fuel

are you sure? perhaps that's a USDM feature and not a JDM feature, all my JDM Galants have had the two fixed speeds and variable intermittent time which remains the same regardless what speed you do. If I put my wipers on the fastest intermittent speed the wipers will go constantly until I turn the knob about 1/8 to 1/4 the way to 'slow' and then they will work as per normal.

I definitely haven't spotted an ETACS unit in my GVR-4 but interestingly enough both my 4th gen Galant coupes have ETACS.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
According to the '92 gvr4 brochure the wipers are controlled by the ETAC IV (Electronic Time and Alarm Control System).

"The microprocessor-controlled system automatically: adjusts windshield wiper speed to the speed of the vehicle; activates the windshiled wiper when the washer is turned on; controls wiper cycle time; allows for a slow fade-out of the interior dome lamp; controls power door locks and theft deterrent system; allows for a 30-second power shut-off delay for power windows and optional sunroof; provides door "ajar" and parking brake "on" warnings."

In addition to the little gold box (relay) on the firewall there should be an ETACS unit (grey/blue) box located somwhere I believe on the drivers side next to the interior fuse box.

misterfixit

There are three setups.

#1, most basic; off, int (not variable), on, faster
#2, on most higher spec cars, off, int (variable by the twiddly thing on the stalk, has dashes or something by the line), on, faster.
#3, highest spec (etacs cars) off, int (says auto by the little line on the stalk) on, faster.

I think the intermittant relay is built into the stalks on the pcb(green colour on the variable and basic stalks) the pcb is way different and the relay is on the firewall for the etacs stalks.

Its -7 outside, and i'm typing this in bed so i'll not dig the stalks out to take pictures of tonight.

If its running all the time,and the adjustment has no effect. Pull the stalks off the column and drop an ohmeter across the two small wires coming out of the metal tube the stalk moulding fits onto (trace these back to the pcb) if the switch is working the resistance should change and give a clear escalation from one end to the other, if it doesnt then the twiddly switch is toast. You can change the one stalk but watch for the ball bearing in the end that gives the detent for the washer pump running.

Hope this helps

Rich

fuel

hrmm looks like I have number 2 then! I wonder if there is a RHD 'auto' ETACS stalk, is the wiper stalk still on the left hand side of the steering wheel for LHD cars like they are for RHD cars?

cheekychimp

That's weird then because I somehow doubt my 1990 VR-4 is 'highest spec' and yet I noticed the delay varied with speed on my car. I thought I was losing my mind but my car definitely seems to have it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned