The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just spent a ton on a new transmission...

belize1334

What can I say... I'm f'in giddy about this.

Jackstransmission's stage 2.1 w/ 10% taller 5th... I can't wait to see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belize1334

I put out a feeler... but I didn't get any hits. I decided to keep dumping money into it instead... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Not including shipping and core fee it's 1700 for the 2.1 + 5th gear.

Last edited:

alansupra94

What's so good about it? Specs? Should have gotten a dogbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

belize1334

No dogbox please. I'm not ever gonna make that much torque.

What's so good is that Jack builds them right with all the right bits so that it should last, shift like butter, and be bullet-proof for my power goals.

thecman02

Having a smooth/accurate tranny is priceless. The 5th gear is a must have. I got that and it was the best money I think I've spent so far. Saves on gas, and on noise.

2of9

I'm jealous. Having a solid trans/engine pretty much makes the gvr4 the most reliable car out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSimage

Jacks is great, price wise. No better than the other guys or the 2 big hitters Shep and TRE however.

But again that sounds awesome! You'll definitely enjoy having more piece of mind.

broxma

I agree with the tranny as a major must have. I spent 1500.00 for a freshly rebuilt Shep stage 2 with zero miles and the piece of mind is worth the money alone.

Nice buy. I approve.

/brox

Good buy. I have the same unit minus the fifth gear change. However, don't think its bulletproof. I've already broken mine, on about 250 whp. I must specify that THIS WAS NOT JACK'S FAULT. It is still a DSM tranny and driven incorrectly will still break. That being as it were, my only complaint with Jack's is that I'd wish they'd pick up the phone.

TSimage

If its only a stage 2 build.. Don't expect to have a free pass to beat on it non stop, especially with any sort of serious power.

Its an improvement over stock and that's about it. Far from indestructible. You'll still have to be cautious with your driving style.

Dan D

I had Jack's do my rebuild last year. I did an 1.1 economy + 4 spider, Evo3 1st gear/input shaft, and I needed a new output shaft. So far I've been quite happy and am confident it will handle what I throw at it. It has some improvements to help it put up with some more abuse, it does shift nicer with all new wear parts, but in the end, I agree with other posters - it is a DSM tranny and is still subject to the downfalls and failure modes if abused past its limits. Nonetheless, Jack does good work.

atc250r

Staff member
At the end of the day, no matter who builds the trans if it has OEM gears there will be carnage if you abuse it (drag strip launches, WOT shifting, etc). The biggest benefit of having a reputable place build it is that they will set the clearances up properly and it will shift smoothly.

John

Quoting alansupra94:
^^^^
Define incorrectly....just wanna make sure I don't do that.

I have a really big problem with breaking shift forks (and dsm trannies in general). I've killed more than ten of them. I shift very fast and very hard. I broke the trans racing a ferrari in LA. I got him through 1st, through 2nd, went to mash 3rd, and nothing, no grind no gear, just nothing. I pulled it out and went for it again, but way slower, and it went right in. By this time the ferrari was long gone. This happened in January, and the trans is still in the car and still works just fine if I focus on shifting more slowly. I can't say anything bad about Jack's quality of work or his business ethic. When my trans was built they received a bad batch of intermediate shaft bearings and my trans started grinding within the first 600 miles. He offered to r&r for me, rebuild it, and replace all necessary fluids all at no cost to me, as long as I brought the car to him (only 70 miles for me). I opted to pull it myself anyway, but he held strong to the rest of his word. Jack's transmission FTW. My speed shifting FTL.

belize1334

Quoting atc250r:
At the end of the day, no matter who builds the trans if it has OEM gears there will be carnage if you abuse it (drag strip launches, WOT shifting, etc). The biggest benefit of having a reputable place build it is that they will set the clearances up properly and it will shift smoothly.

John

So bulletproof was an exaggeration. Still, for reliability the DSM 1st gear, 4-spider center diff with torrington, and upgraded shift forks should fairly well eliminate the first - biggest points of failure. I understand that it's still an OEM gearset, but I'm also confident that I can refrain from breaking it. I've gone through three used transmissions now without breaking anything... but I'm tired of units that don't shift and act like their bearings are about to blow through the bell-housing. I'm confident that this new unit will shift well and be nice and reliable for my purposes. If my goals get more lofty then I'll sell it and get one with a full E3 gearset to handle more torque.

donniekak

The evo3 gearset may in fact handle less torque, it just shifts better. The late 91 early 92 gearset is the strongest. After 450 ft/lbs third and fourth gear are on borrowed time.

turbowop

The Evo3 stuff is stronger...and has better synchros, etc. It's the best of both worlds.

Using '91/'92 stuff is teh suck for 3/4 synchros. You miss 3rd one time and hurt/abuse that synchro and it will never be the same. Using later model 3/4 gearsets has great synchros, but weak gears. The Evo3 stuff is by far the best choice.

Last edited:

donniekak

You can have the 91-92 gears machined for the double synchro. The strength difference is up for debate. I personally like longer gears.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned