The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Window tint remove...yes or no?

vtecds1

It was just a matter of time until I got caught. Well, that time was today. I usually drive with my windows down, but it was a little chilly out and I was feeling a little sick. So I had my passenger window up and my driver side down because I was smoking(sick+smoke=more sick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I was stuck at a stop light when I saw a cop pulling out of a Gyro restaurant. I looked straight at him and knew he saw how dark my tints were. I said to my self...damn it!!! So I quickly rolled my windows down. As the light turned green, I noticed that he turned and got 2 cars behind me. Hoping I was in a clear, I turned my turn signal on to switch lanes and noticed that he was switching lanes also with his lights on. BUSTED!!! I ended up not switching lanes but turning into a Advance auto parts store. He told me that the reason I was pulled over was because of the dark tint and modified exhaust on the car. He then told me to roll my window out a little and checked out how dark my tint was with his gadget. It read 4% and the State of Illinois, I guess allows the window to be tinted at 35%. After writing out the ticket, he approached me and said, "my computer shows that your on file as being in a Filipino gang". I laughed and said to him..." that was 15yrs ago and I`m a family man now". All in all he was pretty cool and didn't give me a ticket on the exhaust. $50 citation was all I got. But sucks being unemployed right now. There goes my gas money for M.O.D.

My question is, should I remove the tint completely from the front or get it tinted a lighter shade?

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I think you should remove it first, and then tint it a lighter shade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Dark dark tint looks ghetto anyways.

vtecds1

I was thinking of removing it also, then having it done lighter next spring. I just like the fact that it keeps my car a little cooler with the tint being dark. Other option is removing all the tint and just driving the car at night. The problem with that though, is it might destroy my defroster.

donkeylips

If you end up removing the rear window tint, a wallpaper steamer did the trick to remove the tint on #372 without causing any damage - as per this forum's recommendation. It came off in no time, leaving no residue.

BrandonEchols

^ Yep.
If you're going to remove it, a steamer is the only way to go.

cheekychimp

When I bought the Type R it came with the JDM 'black' rear and side glass. I swapped it out for clear glass to comply with the law and less than 6 months later they changed the law which would have made the 'black' glass legal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I ended up doing the entire car with a lighter 'solar' tint. I can't say it doesn't work, but it sure doesn't reduce the temperatures as the darker tints do.

3rdstrikedsm

Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me in Villa park 2 years ago on the way to the shoot out which the prick said the exact same thing and gave me a tint ticket which I never paid due to the fact that it is only a city violation and they can't issue a warrent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vtecds1

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me in Villa park 2 years ago on the way to the shoot out which the prick said the exact same thing and gave me a tint ticket which I never paid due to the fact that it is only a city violation and they can't issue a warrent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

WTF? It was a Villa Park cop that busted me today. I was northbound on Addison and North stuck at the light. He was pulling out of Gyro`s Express.

3rdstrikedsm

Revenue generating if they just do this all day every day which it sounds like a routine they have down.

Sucks for sure so now I will go around that area when I am there, They got me on North ave just down from European auto exchange.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The tint is legal now in Illinois on the front windows, but 35% is the limit?

mitsuturbo

I've been seeing some interesting front glass around here. Apparently it's legal most places, as it's not "tint" and it doesn't measure as very reflective.

The PPG Blue High_Kroma Windshield
high_kroma_006.jpg

Looks OK on "those" cars, as that's kinda what they're about, IMO. I think it would look like ass on a GVR4 though.
I've seen it on a scion xB, and it looked really nice.

Brunoboy

get a cop friend or a friend of a friend to sign off the ticket, thats how we do it in CA. If not, I say just leave it. Also if you dont wanna pay the full amount at first, you can make payment plans with no interest, atleast thats how it is here in CA as well. Good Luck
-Shane

vtecds1

I`m going to just have to suck it up and pay. Plus, I drive through that suburb everyday and I don't feel like getting harassed. BUt I will definitely ask if I can make installment payments. Making installment payments on $50...I`m such a broke ass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Why not just redo the front windows lighter, here in CT the front windows are also
35% the rear windows and glass you make as dark as you want is it different where you are?

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting IL Law:
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN ILLINOIS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Illinois, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

vtecds1

A little more info...

More Legal Combinations
1. 30-35% in the rear/up to 50% front

2. If you have below 30% tint in the rear, you cannot have front tint.

3. If you have an MPV, which include but are not limited to, SUVs, Station Wagons, minivans, Toasters, etc., and said MPV has factory installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.

I guess this means no front tints for me if I`m not going to take off the rear.

mitsuturbo

50% is almost nothing
you can get away with a combination of reflecting + tint, and have less visibility into the vehicle
that's about the best way to "get away with it"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts