The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Well I found the source of my overheating... Woohoo....

Chim55117

After 46/1000 struggling with creeping temps constantly, I looked to the local forum for help. People told me that the intercooler and radiator weren't getting enough airflow due to the useless condensor that was in the way. An hour or so later and a bunch of curse words later... I ended up with this.

All that precious airflow was blocked by this. If you guys are thinking of running a civic half radiator, they work great, provided this piece of Sh*t is removed.

Then I idled the car for literally 45 minutes after a spirited drive to see if the temperature would creep up. Nothing. Just right below the middle mark. The car drove much better at lower temp as well. Delete AC and be done with it!

Then I went to wash the car and detail it. The rest is history. Just thought I'd share. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Look at all that extra airflow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

After some wash, wax, and detailing:

Can't forget you guys... And my local forum as well.

I'm running the same radiator as you but with a large slim fan. I don't have overheating issues with my a/c on & in traffic. I'm also running an externally gated turbo with an ETS intercooler. I did see my temps climb into the 215 range with the smaller fan. Once I changed it to a larger one, my temps were fine. It's also been in the high 80's low 90's consistantly for a few weeks now.

If you're going to run a Civic style radiator, then you need to run the biggest fan you can fit in the space. I guess if you don't need a/c, removing the condensor is always an option too.

TWEAKD4

Thumbs up, nice looking car.

IncorpoRatedX

wow, that is a nice looking car.

IncorpoRatedX

btw your members rides shows the AC lines and sh*t still being intact, so did all you remove is the condenser??

click

The civic style radiators suck with AC still in the car. We just put one on one of our cars, and the car will not stay cool for sh*t. The radiator also has the largest fan we could put on it, that flows 1600cfm.

MMCVR4

Nice to hear that you solved that problem, but if you live in Southern California, it will suck not to have A/C, especially right now with 100 degree plus weather. Dark tint & A/C FTW!

broxma

Same thing happened on my Evo with a 4.5" thick core. AC wouldn't even turn on because the condenser would immediately overheat and the cars water temp would skyrocket after about 10 minutes. I had to drill holes in the T-stat just to get the flow through the housing to keep the car cool. I recently removed the FMIC and switched back to stock and the AC still doesn't work too well for some reason.

And even some of us Texas boys run without any AC. Both Steve and I are sans-AC.

/brox

524of1000

That's wht John Q Mitsubishi saw fit to give (some of) us 5 windows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Quoting Chim55117:
Crankwalk is exactly right. I'm in MN, so not having AC isn't that bad.

Somewhat true, summers are quite humid and us "older" enthusiasts prefer A/C...

OMFGeofffff

I think I might try to put my ac back together and I need the condenser. Is it in good condition I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

fuel

I don't think you've found the 'source' of your overheating, I think you've just applied a band-aid to fix it.

Chim55117

Well Ideally I'd stick in a full size radiator and all would be well. But seeing as how my AC didn't work before, this isn't really a big deal to me.

Quoting Jonvr4:
The civic style radiators suck with AC still in the car. We just put one on one of our cars, and the car will not stay cool for sh*t. The radiator also has the largest fan we could put on it, that flows 1600cfm.

Jon,
How thick is the radiator? On our cars, you need one that's more than 2" thick.

Tre3zy

hey chim just wondering how think the core is on your radiator and wat temp of termostat are you running?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned