The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why not run a 14" slim fan? I can't make up my mind.

cupajoe

I need to go to a slim fan soon, but I just can't decide what size I want to go. I want to run a pusher and puller on the same side. What size fan are you using? Why not run a 14" on front and back? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

beaner

i run a 14" skinny on my 1g, and it fits perfectly, my gvr4s radiator is about 1" taller.

belize1334

14" won't fit on the front side of the radiator. The space is like 1/2" too short. You could run a 14" on the back and a 12" on the front. But also remember that two fans could potentially draw too much current and overload the fan circuit. You may want to wire in a relay if you're gonna do that.

cupajoe

I'm lookin at some different size fans and both the 10" and 14" claim they are 1550 cfm. Makes no sense to me, If there both the same should I just run a 10" for more room?

belize1334

It's not uncommon for two different sized fans to have the same flow rating if they use the same motor.

Fans work on a pressure differential which is feed-back regulated by the motor. Basically you apply a voltage and the fan spins up until the load on the motor balances the electrical draw and stabilizes the fan speed. If the two fans have the same motor - just a different blade / housing - then they will stabilize at the same load which will be dictated by the "work" that the fan is doing (basically cfm at a given pressure). The 10" will spin faster than the 14" but they'll push the same 1550 cfm.

Now, that's probably 0psi flow. If you put a radiator in front of them then the smaller fan is trying to push through a smaller radiator cross-section which will build up more back-pressure so it's flow will drop of faster than the 14" fan.

cupajoe

Thank you for the explanation I understand now. I wonder if it is worth losing a little more space and getting 1 14" fan rather then running a 12". Like you said the 14" will most likely do a better job because it has a bigger surface area and the pressure wouldn't drop off a quick.

belize1334

If your AC is gone, then you could run two 10" as pushers wired in parallel. To avoid overdrawing the fan circuit you would want to use the main power supply as a signal to a relay which would draw power straight from the battery through a fuse that you would install. You'd have MILES of room and it should cool quite effectively.

cupajoe

I still have ac and plan on keeping it depending on where I get stationed at. Im thinking maybe going with the 14" puller fan and wiring the ac fan to kick on at the same time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned