The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Strongest 4g63 compatible FWD box?

biglady112

I have two turbo FWD trannys. Had a KM210. Worked well, just hard to get parts for. We have stripped three third gears in a high powered FWD non-turbo this year already. We build and assemble all transmissions ourselves.

You will never see any of us use an AWD tranny converted(welded center diff) as a FWD tranny. Asking for trouble and shitty gearing.

An old friend with a colt gt had a 4g63t and was running the original km210 trans for years with no problems at all. And we were racing anything and everything at anytime back then. I was running a 92 fwd turbo box for over a year in my galant beating the shyza out of it and finally broke the 3-4 shift fork but never exploded it. And I've exploded trannies before, so bad that chunks were taken out of the case on a couple of them.

bazeng

I want to retain my VR4 RS box with VCE and use a FWD box in the AMG.

So where can I get these km210 boxes from?

fuel

Quoting bazeng:
I want to retain my VR4 RS box with VCE and use a FWD box in the AMG.

So where can I get these km210 boxes from?

KM210 is just the earlier code for the F5M22/23 box. Your AMG box is the F5M31 which is far stronger than a KM210/F5M22/3.

bazeng

The problem is with the AMG box is that if I break it..... what do I do next!??!!

It's the only AMG box I know of.. lol
Any ideas where I can get the same box?

What do GALANT GSR's have?
Or Sonatas??

fuel

Do you get the HJ V6 Hatches in 5 speed manual? If so they use F5M31 boxes as well - you could just use the internals from one of them into your AMG gearbox casing (as the bellhousings and means of how they are mounted to the crossmember are different).

I think your HG/HH GSRs still run F5M22/3s. Unsure about the Sonatas.

H05TYL

How much power/torque is the AMG making now?

I know a guy running a w5m33 with locked centre diff behind (beside) a forged 4G93 bottom end/mivec head/GT3540 combination making ~350kW @ wheels (currently de-tuned for circuit racing, previously making 480kW on C16) only real weakness is 4th gear because it's undercut to make space for the bearing.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting biglady112:
I have two turbo FWD trannys. Had a KM210. Worked well, just hard to get parts for. We have stripped three third gears in a high powered FWD non-turbo this year already. We build and assemble all transmissions ourselves.

You will never see any of us use an AWD tranny converted(welded center diff) as a FWD tranny. Asking for trouble and shitty gearing.

Why 'asking for trouble'? It seems like that's what all of the builders do since FWD trannys are so hard to come by. I cannot find a turbo variant for the life of me.

Wizardawd

Best FWD box is an Auto. F4A33. And honestly it really is the way to go for a turbo FWD for high power. As for 5 spd, AWD is the usual route that people go with. Mostly because the ratios are a bit better.

Wiz

maroonmetallic

Quoting bazeng:

What do GALANT GSR's have?

The 92 Galant GS & GSR from over here had the f5m31 gearbox as well.
My GSR had a busted one in it when I bought it so I replaced it w/ one from a 92-94 Expo w/ the 2.4L

After some research back then, it's my understanding that the following cars in USDMland had the f5m31..

92-96 Expo,Summit & Colt Vista (2.4 ONLY)
95-99(?) Eclipse Spyder 2.4 ONLY
94-98(?) Galant

I hope this helps.
-Shawn

bazeng

Thanks for all the input. Please keep it coming.

Power wise, the AMG is making 220 fw kw's at the wheels on 10psi (run in tune).

It's running a 2.3L stroker and a GT3082.
It's basically got all my VR4 old bits which made 330kw's at all wheels.

So I'm expecting something like 300kw's at the front wheels on pump fuel at 20 or so psi.

I really don't want to break this gearbox as they are getting harder to find.

Auto really does solve a lot of problems but also takes out of fun in driving it.

If I were to go AUTO also, what box should I chase?
Do they need much work?

curtis

I have no clue if it will bolt up but I remember seeing a V6 galant sigma at the junkyard years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Maybe it being a v6 it will live longer.

fuel

nah those V6 5th gens had the KM175 transmission, basically same as the F4A23. Although they must be a tad stronger than the four cylinder models as they don't tend to fail as quickly as the KM175s or F4A22/F4A23s fitted behind the 4cyl engines, but they do still fail.

bazeng

I've decided to retain the RS VR4 box in the AMG Galant. I just installed a TRE centre spool to fix the weaklink!

Thanks for the input fellas!

RedTwo

For what it's worth, the AMG gear box is a F5M31-2-ZQZK, which are also used in all E33A 2.0L manual FWD Galant, Eternas and Eterna Savas produced after 1.08.1990. I take it those are as common there as they are here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuel

That would make sense why they are in the US 91+ GS and GSR - I could have sworn I saw an '89.11 import VZ-S 5spd with a F5M22/3 and the NZ-new 5spd Galants appeared to run the same small box too. I guess I haven't checked out any 90.08 JDM 5speed E33As to confirm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts