The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coolant Return Thread

TylerAdamson

I'm doing a -6an coolant return line and am in need of the proper fitting to mate up to the water pipe. I've searched almost every forum I'm a member of including this one and came up with nothing. Does anyone know off of the top of their head what the correct thread and pitch are for the fitting?

Buy a steel -6 fitting and have the bung on the water pipe shortened and the steel fitting welded on.

TylerAdamson

That's been the general suggestion on several forums, but I don't want to do that. If I ever want to run a 14b/16g style turbo again I would like to have the ability to unscrew a fitting and replace it with the stock style return line. The odds of this are slim, but I would still like to have the ability.

TylerAdamson

I would really just like to buy the fitting. I'm not going to weld anything and I'm not buying another water pipe end of story.

You're over-complicating the situation. Once the the turbo is off, the water pipe is right there. You asked for advice and then argure with what advice you are given? You're on your own then. Why even ask?

Look at it this way. Water pipe- $25. AN fitting $6. The fitting you want is probably gonna be about $25 if you can find one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerAdamson

I never asked for advice, I just asked if anyone knew what the thread was off the top of their head. You offered up an alternative that I said no to then decided to offer it up yet again. If I wanted to do a weld fitting I would have never asked the question initially and just done it.

rgeier11

Call amsperformance. They sold me a plug for the water pipe return. I don't remember the dimensions.

1qkfwd

The problem is there is not a fitting that just screws in and seals. I spent a good amount of time at summit racing trying to find the right fitting and there's not one that doesn't need to be modified.

rgeier11

You are wrong. I have a brass fitting from AMS on my Talon's water pipe. It has not leaked one drop.

1qkfwd

Last I checked No an fittings came in brass. It would have to be a metric or npt. Our water pipe is a metric thread.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It is either 14 x 1.5 or 16 x 1.5 flare fitting. Goodridge makes some. Are you adapting to an AN fitting? What size?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
OK, re-read your post again.

Goodridge 306-06-M14 for the 14mm

306-06-16 for 16 mm. Available in either steel or aluminum.

Last time I tried ordering a Goodrigde fitting from summit by p/n, I had to describe it to them because the numbers they had did not match. Or call Goodridge directly.

1qkfwd

Ok just got off the phone with my buddy at summit, they no longer carry goodridge in reno and haven't for awhile. I have or numbers for 5 different fittings with a -6/16x1.5 thread. I just measured the Russell fitting I have sitting in front of me, it came to 15.82mm. The issue with our water pipes, they are an inverted flare type seal. The fittings were not designed for that type of seal. I'm going to pick up all 5 of these fittings and show why most won't work. They carry a new brand called fragola and they have 2 fittings that might do the job. And it was confirmed no brass metric to an fittings. Aluminum or steel.

TylerAdamson

Wow, I missed all of the reply's until now. I picked up a m16x1.5 to -6 o-ring fitting earlier this week. I imagine the o-ring will seal it up just fine and I'll be leak free. I'll post the part number next time I'm at the shop. If all else fails I'll weld it, but I think the o-ring will be just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts