The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock or Aftermarket

turbophein

while i was installing my new dash, i noticed that my shifter didn't look like a stock piece, granted i don't even know what the stock piece looks like, but i am pretty sure it won't be this nice or clean.

so what is this?

SSPX0440.jpg

SSPX0441.jpg

SSPX0442.jpg

TurboTrader

I have the same exact shifter, it came with my 94 Eclipse and I later put it in my GVR. Don't ask me who made it, all I know is that it seems to be a quality piece carefully constructed. Only problem I had with it was that the plastic bushings wore out, which I later replaced with OEM units. They fit just perfect, which goes to show the quality of the work. The Galant has never shifted better before I installed it either.

If you notice, it is about 1.75" shorter than the stock DSM shifter, the stock GVR4 shifter I believe is about 2" on top of that. My wife has short arms, but she can actually reach this type easier than she could with the stock DSM unit. I think it holds the shift handle closer to the driver's side than the DSM unit did.

Nice find!

If anyone knows who made these, please let me know, as now I'm curious.

4thStroke

I cant tell exactly, but it doesnt look like there is a shifter stop? If there one on there?

If not, its an easy way to trash a tranny if you start bangin gears.

curtis

Can't remember maybe thats an old mofugus shifter/ no they were different. Crap I'm old give me a break. As for stops if you look at the long bold in the second picture the tabs for the bolt to go through stick towards the drivers side. You can weld on tabs with a nut welded to it then install a bolt on each side of the shifter. Use the round headed bolts like they use to bolt a truck bed to the frame. Then screw in the bolts all the way install the handle and put it in the car. After its installed and cables are centered put the car in 3rd and adjust the bolt head till it touch the handle and install a jam nut tight. The do the same when in 4th. Now try 1/2 and 5/R may have to adjust cables and play but you now have more or less a hurst like the mustang and camaro guys use. I've build a few this way and they really help out alot. No more over shifts and no more grinding a month after a tranny rebuild. It want fix a notchy or grinding gearbox. Sorry

turbophein

i already have a hell of a time getting in reverse, 5th was a problem for a while to but i adjusted the cables and it catches fine but reverse is a b**ch...

why would someone do this? i am on my 3rd tranny, shep built this time.

anyone have pics of the shifter stops factory so i can get a idea of what needs to be done?

curtis

No pictures but sure someone has some. The stock stop is just a triangle piece of steel with a big piece of rubber on it that really does squat.

4thStroke

I'm having a tough time getting into reverse as well. 5th is fine. It wasn't like this until I pulled the tranny, I think I moved something just right to throw the adjustment off.

Do you have to tug the shifter to the right when going into 4th just a little?

I'm paranoid of another 3-2 shift (when going for 4th), I really need to adjust it.

Whoodoo

looks like something similar to this thing I've run across on fleabay a few times.

To give you an idea of what you're missing, you can mosey through my short shifter build thread here.

Definitely get some shift stops on there. Curtis had sent me these pics of the stops he made. You'll have to pull the shifter assembly out (read center console) so that may be a bit of a bitch, but without stops you're putting that nice shep trans in a bad spot.

turbophein

great another thing to add to the never ending list, lol thanks for the pics

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned