The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with sunroof visor!

talon

I'm in the process of redoing my head liner, but I cant figure out how to pull out the sunroof visor. Do I have to pull the whole sunroof to get the visor out? If so thats gonna suck!!!!

maroonmetallic

I second the man in charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Shawn

14u2nV

it's part of the sunroof, not only do you have to take it out, but IIRC, you have to disassemble the whole sunroof unit to get it out.

curtis

Lay the front seats back as far as they go. Then take a 10mm ratchet to the bolts on the peremeter don't forget the water drain tubes and the wires to the lights and motor. Now leave the two center ones at the b pillars. Climb inside lay on the armrest and put your feet up on the front and your arms on the back area and have someone start letting it down. Leave about 3 threads and then run to the other side drop it all the way then run back and finish the other. Its fricking heavy. after its out its not hard to get off. Just pull off the cloth, wire brush the foam with a brass brush until 90% of the crap is gone, spray off with an airhose and spray glue on the new liner. Do a search I sold some suede ones back a few years ago my neighbor did and stuff is beautiful. But shipping killed the deal. 160 in shipping and 160 or 210 for a sunroof with suede visors is I believe what he charged. If you look at my seat rail evo group buy thread the pictures of my armrest, shift boot and ebrake cover were all from scraps from my headliner.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast

Plan "b" is to attatch some ratcheting tie down straps to the roof structure on both sides with zip-ties or s-hooks, space things out with some 2x4's and then cinch things up.

Remove the attachment hardware with a cordless screwdriver.

Let suroof assembly down gently.

Assembly is the reverse of removal.

Don't fully tighten any nuts or bolts until you have all the hardware started and in a few threads.

I snug them from the center out, but it probably doesn't matter.

Getting tough on those little 6mm bolts will bite you in the ass.

Any that go in "funny", or get tight before they are actually supporting any weight should get pulled and inspected.

Many times, just loosening the brackets where they bolt up to the sunroof frame will allow you to shift things untill the hardware will hand thread without any drama.

This technique works well for me, your mileage may vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Wow, you guys are pussies, I didn't think it was THAT heavy. Where's the polish-spec sunroof removal?

Polish

I didn't video tape it but I did pull it myself many years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Hertz:
Wow, you guys are pussies, I didn't think it was THAT heavy. Where's the polish-spec sunroof removal?

Removal is the easy part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

..but even then about half the time the brackets get bent/distorted if you don't support the unit while you remove the last few bolts/nuts.

You'll be singing a different tune when you try and put the assembly back in by yourself and you're trying to hold the whole shitaree up and start the hardware..

I always say work smarter, not harder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
If y'all wanna play automotive twister and do it the hard way, have at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I did it the hard way twice (by myself) before deciding to get smart about it, so yea, I know it can be done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can't impress a car by doing this kind of stuff by yourself, so why bother?

When you get a little older, you'll understand there's a limit that the body can take at weird angles, and blowing up your back doing something "heroic" is just silly...

In addition, your next thread could very well be "I put in my sunroof and it doesn't slide nicely"

Well, duh, you bent the roof mounts or the sunroof frame, and you get to do it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Supporting it with a ratcheting tie down strap takes less than two minutes.

It makes the job so easy it's like cheating. Everything lines right up, you can start all the hardware, tweek it into it's final position, tighten sh*t up and be done.

Ask for help from a friend, or be smart about it, that's my last word on the subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned