The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

why do people hate bc products?

chrisb33

i was researching on my cam and valvetrain upgrade and was very interested in getting the bc package at extreme psi coz they're really more affordable compared to the other brands.

but over at the tuners they hate bc products. they say it brakes (especially the springs and retainers)

i was wondering if any one of you guys are using bc products but have different experiences with it.

tia.

chris b

brisvr4

Quote:
You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

I have BC cams and springs and have had no issues with them at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

SmoothCustomer

Quoting EmeryatStm:
About a week ago Dan brought the car to me to see what it made for power on our dyno. After a few small tweaks and about 30 psi on pump gas we were done. The car did OK but not what we expected at all. One of the parts I have been bugging him about was his cams (BC 280's), After telling him that we need to get them out of there ASAP we decided to toss a set of Comp 272's (smaller cam) in the car to see what would happen. Both cams were installed with stock cam gears and not degreed in.

As soon as the car started (Even at idle) we needed to add some fuel. I thought to myself, Well it was a 280 cam and it should make less power (take less fuel) down low....On to the tests.

We drove the car on the dyno and pulled a few degrees out of the timing just as a safety factor, in case the car went way lean, it would not hurt anything. As soon as boost started to build we had to let out and start adding fuel, After the first full pull, I had a smile from ear to ear because the car sounded so much different. I could tell it was going to make alot more power. Alot of fuel later and a few pulls on the dyno this is what we ended up with...

This graph shows the car tuned on the same amount of boost with both sets of cams.

dyno_graph.jpg

Dotted lines are BC 280's Run 2

Solid lines are Comp 101200's (272) Run 1

Both tests were performed in the same conditions

I posted everything of importance but if you want info like what mods are on the car, a vid of the runs etc let me know...

Last edited:

chrisb33

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Never mind...

ey thanks for the link. wow now that's a big leap in hp gain just by changing cams almost 50whp!

SmoothCustomer

Oh you saw it? Yeah it seems like some guys can view stuff from my local board and some can't. Regardless, I posted a hard copy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisb33

Quote:

I have BC cams and springs and have had no issues with them at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

if you dont mind me asking, how long have you had it running for? are you using the 272/272 or 280's? what revs are you looking at? thanks man.

chris b

chrisb33

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Oh you saw it? Yeah it seems like some guys can view stuff from my local board and some can't. Regardless, I posted a hard copy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yup i did. thanks for posting a copy here as well. im pretty sure others will benefit from this discussion as well.

chris b

brisvr4

Quoting chrisb33:
Quote:

if you dont mind me asking, how long have you had it running for? are you using the 272/272 or 280's? what revs are you looking at? thanks man.

chris b

Not at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've had them for approx 18 months now and I generally run to just under 8000.
I've got 272's installed straight up with no degreeing in and have just managed a 11.69 @ 122 on them.
I do believe that BC cams do run a little less lift than most others though...

chrisb33

thanks bris.

im looking at 272/272's also to mate with my hx35. dont plan on revving above 8k as well. so i guess it's safe to say that the bc cam and valvetrain package will suffice my needs. i do plan to a set of fidanza adjustable cam gears. maybe that can help me tune the cams better.

chris b

Brianawd

Picking the right cam for your set up is a fine art. My personal feeling is that you should sit down and pick your turbo cams and intake manifold based off where your want your power band and how much power you want to make. I see so many people thinking bigger is always better. I feel that if its a street car you want your set up to give you the most broad power band as possible

Telecaster

+1 on brainawd

In the streets of manila, you might enjoy the 264/264 more. 272 powerband is a bit high for my taste, especially with road conditions and lunatic drivers that hog up the roads. Other wise go for the bigger cams if you will run track at brc, subic, or cisw.

chrisb33

bc dont make 264/264 cams. other brands too expensive for my pocket. it's either that or i stick with the stock.

turbo is hx35 with bep bolt on housing.

intake mani currently a cyclone but will probably fab my own SMIM.

tuning via dsmlink.

anyway, i was asking about quality of bc products but thanks for helping me out with choosing the right cam.

chris b

We have never had any QC issues with BC before. The only problem is they are always down on power compared to most others. What is your budget? Usually with our customers i would have them run kelford 264's or 272's with stock EVO springs before going with BC cams and a spring kit

chrisb33

well in extreme psi they have a package deal for the cams, springs, and retainers for $590. so im willing to spend around that much for brand new parts. i'm not keen on buying used stuff at this point.

im not looking for THAT much for power. im looking at 4oowhp max because im just in a fwd platform. what im looking for is durability at a reasonable price. i know, i know, quality doesnt come cheap. but im looking for the best compromise.

those kelford cams alone are already around $500!

chris b

Get a set of used FP2's(275-325) and use the stock springs. It will be
more the enough for the hx35.

Steve

Vman911

I got a set of regrinds off this guy on ebay. Thier = to 272's. Thier nippon racing cams from overseas. I paid 283.00 shipped. Thier great. They sound good. I know 4 people who have them. Thats how I got turned on to them. You don't need aftermarket springs with these they'll work on stockers. I put in a set of evo8 springs and retainers just to lose
1 ponund of weight. I have reved my cur up to 8500 rpm with no issues. Red line is set at 8200 now. If you want a link let me know.

Vinman

I would buy used FP's before i bought a no name cam for the same money. Without knowing the exact specs of the cam they could perform worse than the bc272's. If you want to cheap out on a set of cams buy the delta regrinds for 200.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts