The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Window/Door Seals, where to get?

Armitage

If I leave my car out in the rain, I get water in the trunk and in the passenger compartment. I've identified at least 3 places where it's coming in. Any idea if there's any place that sells replacement moulding/seals?

Barnes

Other than the dealer? Other option is from folks that parted out their cars. As a matter of fact I might have those exact seals. (I didn't part a car, they are originally from Karter's wrecked car)

Armitage

For some reason I thought the window seals were NLA. I looked into getting some a year or so ago. I guess I ought to just give JNZ a call and see what's what.

JNR

you can *try* soffseal, although may be only domestic...there's another company that makes those things, but can't recall name right now (I have catalog at hime, I checkee checkee). Soffseal makes high quality products, btw.

Barnes

I would bet that our seals are some standard, or VERY common mold type, cut to length and fused together. I mean really, why would mitsu waste the money reinventing something someone has already made a zillion times?

Whoodoo

Quoting JNR:
you can *try* soffseal, although may be only domestic...there's another company that makes those things, but can't recall name right now (I have catalog at hime, I checkee checkee). Soffseal makes high quality products, btw.

Erm, I'm not so sure about that. I bought some door seals made by soffseal a few years back for the camaro and was not at all satisfied. You'd think that door surrounds for a 1988 camaro was a fairly popular product, but when they came, they were about 2 inches too long, making them fit quite terribly. Also, they weren't quite right by the side-views and ended up splitting within a few months. If it were me, I wouldn't buy a soffseal product again... just my two cents.

Last edited:

JNR

Perhaps the quality has suffered in the past few years. The set I got for my Chevelle was nice (this was mid 90's), except it is known the window sills, for instance, will be different than the originals, if you're anal about restoration. Otherwise, it was good quality. I actually wanted to get the Metro seals [that is the name I couldn't remember], but got such a good deal on my kit, I ended up with that. Shame if they aren't as good as they used to be, but these days nothing suprises me with companies.

Problem with repro is it's never the same. Sometimes (rarely) you get lucky and get a superior product, but sadly many times the repro stuff is not as good. My door handles are a good example. damn chinese making classic muscle parts should be a crime, lol.

The saying is true that nothing like the real thing. btw, have you (OP) looked at parted cars and such? Not sure if they can be salvaged, but mayb you can get lucky in finding a better replacement, if nothing else. Rubber and trim pieces are the worst in restoration stuff, as they seem to be the first to go (most owners don't dress their rubbers religiously like they should, if they want to keep it for many years)

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Some seals are NLA, some are not.

Iceman may do some looking for you.

IIRC - The passenger side seals are still availible but the drivers are not.

JNR

btw - did mitsubishi use a common extrusion between cars? If it's for a trunk, maybe a diamante (for example) may work; as long as it's longer and not shorter tho.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts