The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Took 1st Place today

Vman911

Went out to Import Showdown 09 Hosted by GADSM today. It was Held at Silver Dollar Raceway by Macon, Ga.
First time at track and I take home 1st place in AWD Class. No racers showed up for finals so I raced alone. I made it to quaterfinals and the next fastest car was a Evo8 running 13.5's. I ended up running a 13.330 @ 98Mph.
Not the greatest time. I know my car can do high 11's. I'm still learning the power band, Trying to figure DSMLINK. I got a nice boost leak to address. My car was running hot today around 226 degrees.
1667/2000 weigh in at 3380 lbs with driver.
New clutch installed thursday night with 100 miles on it held 5700 RPM launches with 20lbs of boost built up. I was spinning 3 tires.

Curtis i'm going to need help putting in my 4bolt guts so I can keep 4WS. Sometime in oct at T's shop.

Thanks to Mike at 4G Performance with help with DSMLINK
Dan at Competition Clutch for last min clutch disc.

Thanks
Vinman

Last edited:

Vman911

Thanks. I ran as fast as a 14.6 @ 103.4 mph. Best 60' is 1.832 my. Once I fix the bugs i'll be in 11's. I was pushing 20-24 PSI on my 20G. Temp was 86 outside.

Congrats on the win. Did you get any $ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Your heads swelling... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just yell the week before you come up so I can plan to come over to T's on Saturday. Buy two side seals and one pinion seal, shims should be fine if not I have a few diffs to pick from.

1badgvr4

Come on Vinny I wanna see some 11's. What was the boost at the track? I see your still getting used to the launch.

turbowop

You've either got a lot of tuning, or a lot of bugs to work out if you think you're going to run 11's based on the times you just got. You're over a full second away and those trap speeds are pretty far from 11's territory.

I mean, congrats on what you've accomplished thus far, but unless there's something seriously wrong with the car and can be fixed, you're not going to be hitting 11's on driving skillz alone.

1badgvr4

Wop I think he knows that. Just posting up a baseline I guess. 11's are the goal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Okay. I guess I was just curious and was thinking out loud so-to-speak. It almost sounded like he planned to get into the 11's with just a better run or something.

1badgvr4

I remember him saying he was using 650's. If he gets some fuel to it with 30psi and a good tune on the link, and some awesome driving it would be mid to low 12's.

Lonewolf64

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but can we have a brief outline of your mods? It's frustrating to see threads like this and then have no idea what kind of hardware you utilized to get you to your times.

Vman911

I was running 24 ish PSI on pump gas. I blew out throttle body gasket on my 2nd run.
I'm running a 20G, 650 inj, haffle SS manifold w/44mm wastegate, Street tires, 3 bolt rear, methkit (not wired yet), 3" exhaust
Evo8 pistons and rods 9:5:1, Evo8 springs and retainers, 272 cams, Lightened flywheel, 6 puck clutch. JMF intake, 63mm throttlebody

I had full interior at track, car weigh in at 3380 lbs with me in it. If I get my LSD rear in, Fix my boost leak, Run meth, get it better tuned to get rid of knock, I should be around high 11's mid 12's.
I put down 307 AWHP, 293 torque at dyno last time.
Since then I got dsmlink, 272 cams, lightened flywheel,evo8 springs and retainers, 63mm throttlebody, meth kit, JMF Intake. I'm hoping for 380+ HP.

My best 60' was 1.803 on street tires spining 3 out of 4. I was getting alot of knock in 3rd gear and it was pulling out alot of timing.

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Your MPH is seriously lacking for the amount of power you are supposedly putting down. It sounds like you should have spent a little more time preparing the car pre-track with things like new plugs/wires, boost leak check, etc.

Vman911

I blew out throttlebody gasket on 2nd run. and yes I should have had it better tuned before track. It was my first time at track. I'm still trying to learn the power band. I was redlineing 3rd across the finish for 4 out of 8 runs. Finally figured out the tree by my last run. My car would have been better tuned but Douglasville got flooded with all that rain and I droped my tranny 6 times that week to get my clutch situation right. I went through 2 clutches and finally the 3rd one fit right. The 2nd one was a protoype and didn't let me shift.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts